Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

odd radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

Default odd radiator question

It looks like I have 1 inch to 1 1/4 of an inch clearance between my radiator and my fan, is this enough space or will it cause a problem?

I plan on switching over to electric fans eventually, so if I can run with it for a while that would be good.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Gun Jam

So the fan blades are about 1.25" from the radiator?

That sounds almost normal...you've never driven it before?

The stock blades are pretty stout if you keep it under 6k it should be fine.

-Gun
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 AM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

The car came with a radiator that doesn't belong to the car so I needed a new one and aluminum ones are cheaper than stock replacements and there's a sale on 3 row radiators and its 2 1/8 thick and I measured and it gives me roughly 1-1 1/4 clearance and i was unsure if it would cool that close.

But I suppose I'm not doing anything crazy with it so it should keep itself cool enough until I get the electric fans.

I've never driven the car I've had it for about 9 months and it hasn't left the driveway.

That settles it I'm ordering it now.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Gun Jam

well if its a thicker rad it might be tough to find an electric fan that will fit between the rad and the water pump...

It should cool okay that close I would be more concerned about blade flex causing a blade strike...but you should be okay there too.

Try it out I guess and keep an eye on it until you are sure its okay.

If you haven't got the rad yet norther makes a direct fit. Its the same size as the stock radiator and I think they make one for the 70...but maybe not

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 01-18-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Gun Jam

http://www.northernfactory.com/store...&ctg_id=138067

here it is right here

Get that and go about your business
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangcoupe1970
It looks like I have 1 inch to 1 1/4 of an inch clearance between my radiator and my fan, is this enough space or will it cause a problem?

I plan on switching over to electric fans eventually, so if I can run with it for a while that would be good.
If you have no shroud, that is factory spec. If you use a shroud, the fan should be centered in/out.

Don't go electric, a thermal clutch fan and shroud works just as well, and doesn't require a lot of plumbing and wiring. You can install the whole thing in a half hour.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
If you have no shroud, that is factory spec. If you use a shroud, the fan should be centered in/out.

Don't go electric, a thermal clutch fan and shroud works just as well, and doesn't require a lot of plumbing and wiring. You can install the whole thing in a half hour.
Hey now thats not right. These old parts cant possibly do the job. Even with 45 years of keeping mustangs cool. lol

Ok seriously, OP why are you wanting to go to electric? Are you planning on shoehorning a larger motor that you need the clearance or building a beast that the 1/2 hp lost to a spinning fan will make a difference in lap times? You are going to put out alot of money and effort to put an electric fan in when it is much easier to go with the original style fan(yes it will keep your eng cool) or put a clutch fan in.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have OEM steel fan in 64.5 w/o shroud. No failures.

I have redundant elec fans in 67 351W w/o shroud. Two failures.

I prefer mechanical fan.

Second choice clutch fan.

Don't like electric fan sound but cools well.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Gun Jam

For what its worth I run the flexalite black magic electic fan in central ca heat daily driven for about 10 years never a problem finally a month ago it required a 25 dollar automatic control unit.

so electric fans can be a great choice as well. but as said they are not cheap.

-Gun
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rtintwo
Hey now thats not right. These old parts cant possibly do the job. Even with 45 years of keeping mustangs cool. lol

Ok seriously, OP why are you wanting to go to electric? Are you planning on shoehorning a larger motor that you need the clearance or building a beast that the 1/2 hp lost to a spinning fan will make a difference in lap times? You are going to put out alot of money and effort to put an electric fan in when it is much easier to go with the original style fan(yes it will keep your eng cool) or put a clutch fan in.
I feel that an electric fan would cool better and reduce engine drag.

I installed an e-fan on my 91 explorer and I noticed less drag.

Quick Reply: odd radiator question