Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

first project car, could use some help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Motorizer

Default first project car, could use some help please

this is my 1966 Mustang hood. I was just curious how, or if i should sand it down any farther. The left side of the hood and hoodscoop now match how the rest of the hood looks, this is just an older picture. So should i keep sanding it all down or is this hood ready for primer?

Thank you in advance for any tips or comments

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...29kMS5qcGc.jpg
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Is the remaining material stable?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
MustangFTW

as long as you have it off and sanded that much, i would sand down till metal.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I say go to metal. If that's an orbital sander you are using it probably left ridges and edges you may not be able to see or feel now but may see when you put gloss paint on it. Orbital sanders tend to leave edges where you are going from one layer to the next.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Is it a fiberglass hood? It looks like it, and if it is you wont find metal. The sander you used will create waves and ridges in the surface. Not enough to see at this point, but lay a nice dark color and some clear over it and it will look like a surfers dream.

Get the old color off, and try to get it down to the same layer of paint or primer across the entire surface. Dont go all the way to the gell coat if you can help it. If you se the glass mat you have gone too far. It will take some time, but its either do it now or do it with a long board later. You will still have to do it with a long board later. Be careful on the body lines along the edges, it looks like they are already moving around.

After you get it sanded, you will need to hit it with a sealer or epoxy primer. I would go 3 or 4 coats of epoxy at the least. Then you need some high build primer. The high build you sand off by hand, its a slow process with a very long sanding board. You sand it flat noting the low spots, then shoot more primer, sand more, more primer, sanding, primer. etc. Do that until you can sand the entire hood without finding a low spot.

If you dont do all that, when you sit in your car and see that hood ahead of you, it will look warped and wavy, not nice and flat like its supposed to be. The more shine to the paint the worse it will look. Flat black would be a good way to go with that hood.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
MustangFTW

Hmm i thought i saw metal but now that i looked again it could be fiberglass so listen to thumpin.

Btw, how did you get it that sanded with that sander? i have one of those and there slow as hell, had to use a variable speed one for my bodywork.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Motorizer

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
Hmm i thought i saw metal but now that i looked again it could be fiberglass so listen to thumpin.

Btw, how did you get it that sanded with that sander? i have one of those and there slow as hell, had to use a variable speed one for my bodywork.
that hood is almost all fiberglass.
it took me about 12 hours to sand the hood.