Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is this 71 Mach 1 worth $2400

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
BlackRat
1st Gear Member

Default Is this 71 Mach 1 worth $2400

It has the numbers matching 351c2v and manual 3 speed trannie. The guy says the torrque boxes and other structural areas are solid. It will need floors and trunk pan, left front fender, cowl work, and inner fender repair. The quarters are supposedly solid as well as the doors hood and back window. It is missing a left front hub so essentially it is a tri pod car right now. He wants to get $2400 out of it.

What do you all think????

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

With the cowl and floor pans rusted i wouldn't go higher then 1200 for it.The cowl is not remade for it so you gotta find it used and good luck on that.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 AM
BlackRat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
With the cowl and floor pans rusted i wouldn't go higher then 1200 for it.The cowl is not remade for it so you gotta find it used and good luck on that.
Thanks . I thought I could get it at 1800 but that did not pan out. The car is numbers matching but I still think it is to much to pay for so much work. But I am not familiar enough on these cars to know. Barrett Jackson has made people think numbers matching is a gold mine regardless of condition. It is making it hard for the little car guy like me to find sommething reasonable.

I like it because it is an origional manual trannie car so I would not have to convert it. But I just don't know if I should walk away or not.

Thanks
Wade
Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Its a ford there is no numbers matching thats a gm thing meaning full vin on the engine trans and rear end.If that car was a boss or a big block i would buy it for that price but as it sits i wouldn't.Watch your local craigslist i seen a 72 with a 460 in perfect shape for like 6 or 8k not that long ago.Seen a few in restoreable shape with little to no rust go for 3k to 5k.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 AM
jmcautoworx

Well, it does have a foot print gas pedal......
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

I'd pass at anything over a grand. The rust peaking out the rear quarters makes me question just how solid they are and the taillight panel is a strong hint that more holes are hiding. A 2V Cleveland and 3 speed are nothing to write home about - they're good, but on the low end of added value. Since they appeal to you, pay what it's worth to YOU, not a perceived value as a collectible. On the side of a collectible, I think it would be worth more with more HP under the hood and more gears in the tranny and forget about matching the numbers on this one, but then again, I build for fun rather than resale.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
BlackRat
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys!! I really don't care about the matching numbers thing anyway. I was planning a 429 5speed swap regardlesss. I did not realize that matching numbers was not a big deal on Fords. I have only owned Chevy' in the past. My intent on whatever I buy is to resto mod, keep and enjoy so resale is not really a concern.

I have a pretty low budget for purchase so I am expecting to have to do some body and rust repair. I just don't want to get in over my head. I have been stressing about this car for almost 2 weeks now and I think I should probably just move on.

Wade
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Thanks guys!! I really don't care about the matching numbers thing anyway. I was planning a 429 5speed swap regardlesss. I did not realize that matching numbers was not a big deal on Fords. I have only owned Chevy' in the past. My intent on whatever I buy is to resto mod, keep and enjoy so resale is not really a concern.

I have a pretty low budget for purchase so I am expecting to have to do some body and rust repair. I just don't want to get in over my head. I have been stressing about this car for almost 2 weeks now and I think I should probably just move on.

Wade
a) Actually, matching numbers is a very big deal on Mustangs, but only if you are going "show correct". If you are doing a "modified", it's the same rule as, say, a Camaro. The "H" code 351C 2V is not one of the more rare engines. If it was, say, a "Q" code, maybe. If it was a "J" code, or a 71-72 "R" code, buy it.

b) The floor pans are available, but the cowl has not yet been released. I'd be more concerned about the "A" crossmember, these are not available, either, and none of your photos show it.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 03-18-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

You should get yourself a parts cataolog (CJ, NPD). 71-73 are the most expensive to rebuild. may be worth getting an older one that needs rust repair. May come out ahead.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
You should get yourself a parts cataolog (CJ, NPD). 71-73 are the most expensive to rebuild. may be worth getting an older one that needs rust repair. May come out ahead.
Don't forget this one. Lotsa 71-73 parts in it.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/catalog.pdf

Quick Reply: Is this 71 Mach 1 worth $2400