Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

302 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Brandon D

I'm not sure if you're able to do the labor yourself but if you are then 5k is enough to build a mean engine. If 5k includes paying for labor then you'll have to play a little more wisely. I think someone else mentioned it but you should call Comp Cams or go to their website. They have a cam spec tool that will tell you exactly what cam you are looking for. The tool wouldn't work for me so I called them and they emailed me a lengthy questionnaire that dealt with everything from tire size to over all weight, stroke length and all the rest. I had to do some research but in the end I know the car better and they recommended a cam that should do exactly what I want. After that one big money saver is Ebay. I saved a lot of cash buying parts on there that were far cheaper than local speed shops wanted. Just do your research and make sure you're getting the parts you want and the rest is easy. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

www.fordstrokers.com have woody build you something he posts on the forum here
Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

Yeah the 5k will be including labor. Rebuilding an engine is a bit outside of my skill set and I would rather have someone do it that has more experience then I do. The place I took it to doesn't really like me bringing them parts because of how they like to warranty things but I am sure its a good bit of the mark up they can put on the parts to.

I will check out comp and ebay thanks for the tips. I have had a few people on ebay be a little slow or sketchy but if the price is right it will be worth another try.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

If I were you I wouldn't screw around with ebay and such trying to save a dime only to have your motor grenade. Getting the right combination is not easy, you can put pieces together from talking to people on forums but unless you follow someone combination exactly you probably will not get the same results.

So
Have your machine shop build the short block, if you haven't built a motor this is the part that requires some skill. This should be under $1000 if you provide the short block that needs rebuild, you can find a 302HO (87-90) for under $300 if you don't. If will give you a solid base to build from. Then hook up with a custom cam grinder and talk about your options for cam, heads and intake. He will only be looking to sell you a $300 cam, your options open up if you want a set of trickflow or afr heads. Assembly of the top end is rather easy and something you could do the first time out.

You could easily build a solid high performance 302 for $5K.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Brandon D

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
If I were you I wouldn't screw around with ebay and such trying to save a dime only to have your motor grenade.
I wasn't suggesting he mix and match parts that he has no clue about. But what is wrong with doing the research, figuring out what you need and then buying the parts from the best priced place possible?? I saved roughly $1000 doing it that way and I don't see a thing wrong with it. Be sure you are buying from a business and not some random joe blow but other than that if the part #'s are the same you'll be in business. And in my humble opinion getting a guy to custom grind a cam on a pretty basic engine build is way over the top. He already said he had limited abilities and to pay a shop to do that then micrometer everything to figure out the right lifters, pushrods etc, gets very expensive. At least around here it does.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brandon D
I wasn't suggesting he mix and match parts that he has no clue about. But what is wrong with doing the research, figuring out what you need and then buying the parts from the best priced place possible?? I saved roughly $1000 doing it that way and I don't see a thing wrong with it. Be sure you are buying from a business and not some random joe blow but other than that if the part #'s are the same you'll be in business. And in my humble opinion getting a guy to custom grind a cam on a pretty basic engine build is way over the top. He already said he had limited abilities and to pay a shop to do that then micrometer everything to figure out the right lifters, pushrods etc, gets very expensive. At least around here it does.
The reason I suggested what I did was a custom cam grinder will suggest the right combination to go with the cam, I think its a well spent $300 on a cam. Asking for opinions is going to get out of control. Just take a look at all the engine threads on MF, I don't build many motors but I've built a few in the 900hp range. Paying someone to help put the right combinations of parts together is probably the best value spend someone can make. Spend the $300 on the cam then buy the rest of the stuff where ever. I won't claim to know what combinations work but assembly is easy especially the top end. If he was close I'd lend him a hand, wouldn't take much to get someone going.

On the top end the only thing he would need is a $19 adjustable push rod, once he has the rocker centered on the valve stem take it to the shop that does the bottom end and measure it. If he buys assembled heads there is nothing else he'll need to measure. I'm sure the shop wouldn't have an issue measuring the push rod for him.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 06-05-2011 at 08:13 PM.