Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trouble with Missing Freeze Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitsud08
I assumed it was called a freeze plug. I can see that a freeze plug would only pop out due to frozen engines, but if this plug came loose due to air pressure or just random bumps on the road, it might be possible that it fell inside. Does anyone know if the metal is magnetic? or would having to get a snake with a camera on it be the best route?
Don't worry, EVERYONE (practically) call them freeze plugs, even I do and I know better...

The plug will probably be galvanized steel, a magnet will grab it.

The only way I see it coming out of there is if it didn't fit well to begin with...

or maybe a strong backfire might blow that thing out? That theory kind of makes sense, Those I-6s seem to backfire quite a bit...

Not that I am necessarily recommending this, but in a pinch, a thin plate and a little JB Weld would probably take care of that hole....

Last edited by JMD; 06-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Yeah, freeze plugs work down here. It does not get very cold, but they save racers who are running straight water and forget to drain their blocks. I know two blocks that were saved this past year when it stayed below freezing for 4 days in South Texas. I am sure they are used for what you are saying too. I have not heard that but is good trivia.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:35 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I’m not surprised that the plug popped out of that hole. That hole is not meant to take a freeze plug. The way to plug the hole is to take a piece of plate steel, I would use ¼” plate, and build a block of plate using the two bolts that are in the manifold on either end of the hole you are plugging. Use an EGR gasket or make your own to fit the plate and bolt it over the hole. As far as finding the old freeze plug. That is up to you. I would think that if it went into the engine it would have sucked itself down into a cylinder right away and you would know it from the noise it would have made. It would be a good idea to look for it if you access to a bore scope. I don’t think you will find it inside the manifold.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I saw a freeze plug work on a Case tractor. The morning after a hard freeze the freeze plug was still stuck to a 6" long chunk of ice hanging out the side of a block like a frozen pecker.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I’m not surprised that the plug popped out of that hole. That hole is not meant to take a freeze plug. The way to plug the hole is to take a piece of plate steel, I would use ¼” plate, and build a block of plate using the two bolts that are in the manifold on either end of the hole you are plugging. Use an EGR gasket or make your own to fit the plate and bolt it over the hole. As far as finding the old freeze plug. That is up to you. I would think that if it went into the engine it would have sucked itself down into a cylinder right away and you would know it from the noise it would have made. It would be a good idea to look for it if you access to a bore scope. I don’t think you will find it inside the manifold.
I agree.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Yeah, freeze plugs work down here. It does not get very cold, but they save racers who are running straight water and forget to drain their blocks. I know two blocks that were saved this past year when it stayed below freezing for 4 days in South Texas. I am sure they are used for what you are saying too. I have not heard that but is good trivia.
Like JMD said its a core plug not a freeze plug. Anyone that counts on them to protect their motor in freezing conditions is foolish. I've been playing with "car motors" in boats (sea water cooled) for 30 years, I lost count of how many cracked blocks I've come across in the spring.