Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

FAST EZ-EFi system

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:44 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ic237
I posted it because I read it wrong..I was agreeing with you. A little defensive you are.
If you were agreeing it would have helped to say so =P

And it's not being defensive, it's just that the same old myths are CONSTANTLY being perpetuated, and it often results in people who don't know any better spending needless time and money fixing problems that don't exist. And that bothers me.

There are legitimate reasons to run EFI over carb(or vice versa), but nearly all the time it's not those reasons that people spend thousands on EFI. They spend thousands of dollars needlessly because they're lead to believe it was necessary, when all they needed was a rebuild kit and 30 minutes with a screwdriver. I just get irritated when the same information floats around and someone heard it from someone who heard it from someone who's cousins, brothers, uncles, grandfathers, dog walkers next door neighbor heard from a guy who once had a carbureted car or some stupid bull**** like that.

There's almost never any legitimate discussion of the differences/advantages of each system. It's usually just a knee-jerk reaction to the word carburetor and all of a sudden everyone is saying how they idle like crap, get bad mileage, have bad throttle response, bad drivability etc.

Sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.....and yet I still do it. =\
Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 PM
rsusmark

Hi Gang, We returned from the car show and everything ran great. The mileage wasn't quite as good as I hoped but lots of idle time in the parade and me "showin' off" a little probably cut into that. 18.6 mpg but we are still only 400 miles on the EFi system and 3000 miles on the engine. I am posting a couple of pictures but have more if anyone wants to see something specific.....Reid
Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

18.6 combined? That's not bad for a 347. And at 400 miles it's probably just finishing up learning, so the mileage will likely pick up a bit from the tune improving.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

18.6 is fantastic I'd say. I'm running 16.5-ish with a 302, T5 and 3.5:1 gears with a carbed application. and I'm quite sure you had your foot down as well on the odd occasion :-)
my daily driver is a 1996 Audi 2.2litre 5cylinder turbo (AAN) (~135ci) and that gets me about 18.5 ;-)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 AM
rsusmark

GRRRR...this site won't let me post new pix for you guys...says I only have 10k of space left! If one of you can tell me how to get around that, I have about four pix of the EFi sytem and components that I can put up for you. And computers were supposed to give us lots of "free" time for other things right?? HA!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

shove them onto picasa or flickr and send us the link. you can even post the pictures from there right here

if the image is at www.abc.de/feg.jpg you just write in the forum:
[img] www.abc.de/feg.jpg [/img] (without the spaces at front and back)
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
18.6 is fantastic I'd say. I'm running 16.5-ish with a 302, T5 and 3.5:1 gears with a carbed application. and I'm quite sure you had your foot down as well on the odd occasion :-)
my daily driver is a 1996 Audi 2.2litre 5cylinder turbo (AAN) (~135ci) and that gets me about 18.5 ;-)
My mach gets 14-15 with an old leaky FMX...
My daily driver averages 35 and gets 40+ on the highway (2005 VW Passat TDI).
I guess everyone has different standards for good fuel mileage.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 AM
rsusmark

Well 69Mach, you'd have to actually go to Ireland to know what Kalli is talking about...I would love to return to Cork so I'm hinting at an invite...HaHa. The roads are windy, twisty and plenty of hills so 18 would be great for there. You on the other hand live at altitude with plenty of flat open roads and just a few hills heading out of town to the East. My wifes 87 Nissan Pulsar runs at 43 mpg day in and out. I am hoping to bust 20 mpg with the 347 once things are settled in and tuned up. I'd be very happy with that considering the zip it has (and I use) with that weight/HP combination. I will try some of those suggestions to get some pictures up, just wish this site would allow more. I supposed I can delete some of the originals now that you all have seen them. I will keep after it...RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! Reid
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

very true, the roads here are less than ideal for gas/mileage :-) but ya, those VW/AUDI TDIs are the business when it comes to that. once had a 19.TDI and that was 30+even here. bog slow but cheap. I'm thinking of going back to that at some stage, especially since I'm now planning to move out the country (30miles to work ...) can't afford two petrol suckers ;-) ... and of course you won't need my invite for coming to Ireland :-) off you go and make sure to let me know when you do
Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Yeah, a link would work. Photobucket, anything like that will work.

Quick Reply: FAST EZ-EFi system