Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Old Mustang Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 AM
ehhgermancarsarebetter

Default Old Mustang Conversion?

So classic i6 Mustangs are super cheap. So are decent 350's out of some junked explorer. So obviously you see what I'm getting at. Are the two compatible? If not, what other ford V8's can you stick in a '66?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

explorers have 302's unless youre talking about the trucks...you can use a 302 but you will need the proper oil pan,trans then the v8 suspension/brake mods to go along...
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Changing a inline 6 over to a v8 is about 3k plus the engine and trans unless you get a inline 6 car under a grand i would spend the cash now for a v8 one to start with.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Changing a inline 6 over to a v8 is about 3k plus the engine and trans unless you get a inline 6 car under a grand i would spend the cash now for a v8 one to start with.
I agree. It's a lot of expensive work, and there'll be all sorts of small changes that'll drive you bats.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

The only time it makes sense finacially to start with a I-6 is if you are planning radical suspension and steering mods where you wouldnt be using any of the stock components. But for those kind of mods you would need to budget atleast 8k. If you are planning to keep the stock style suspension it is cheaper to buy a v-8 car.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I have been beating the same drum since I arrived on this forum....

A proper conversion is kind of expensive when compared to doing nothing to a stock V-8, but the cost is the same when compared to putting new suspension, drivetrain, and a new engine in a car that was originally a V-8. And.... chances are some of the stock V-8 stuff is going to be worn and torn anyway....

There are a significant number of original V-8 cars right here on the forum that have EVERYTHING changed from stock that differentiates an original six cylinder car from an original V-8 car. In these cases, the cost difference is non-existent.

A straight rust free I-6 car CAN BE a great and ECONOMICAL way to have a V-8 Mustang. If a person buys right, and picks parts carefully....

My son's 66 started out as a nice clean 6 cyl coupe, it needed -0- rust repair and only the mildest body work (a few door dings). The time and money saved on the metal work and body work easily translated into real money left for the conversion....

Last edited by JMD; 09-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:46 PM
ehhgermancarsarebetter

well yea 302's or a 350 off an old F Series. I would want the breaks modernized anyway, drums are no bueno. And of course a new tranny to handle all the torque. You wouldn't need to touch the suspension unless you're planning on really pushing the car, which I'm not. It sounds like a transmission would be the most expensive part... Unless I'm missing something?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The 6 cylinder suspension gave lousy handling when new, a V8 will really make it suck. The trans has to be changed because it won't fit the V8, and the 6 cylinder axle will die on the first burnout. Oh, and the 64-66 front spindles and entire steering linkage will have to be changed, since the spindles are tiny and the linkage is configured different than the V8.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
The 6 cylinder suspension gave lousy handling when new, a V8 will really make it suck. The trans has to be changed because it won't fit the V8, and the 6 cylinder axle will die on the first burnout. Oh, and the 64-66 front spindles and entire steering linkage will have to be changed, since the spindles are tiny and the linkage is configured different than the V8.
The six cylinder suspension limits you to 4 lug wheels up to 67, and 2+2 is right, the six springs are too damn soft for a V-8.

The rear leafs are a big issue, and an engine with good torque will "wrap up" the leaf springs causing the pinion yoke to engage the floorboard.... (Ask me how I know).

Is you change to a V-8, you will find that virtually ALL of the suspension and the rear end will need to be replaced. The good news is that all of this stuff for Mustangs can be had at good prices for reproduction parts, and there is always a wide variety of used parts that can work.

Oh yea, the 6 cyl tie rod is an issue regarding clearance with a V-8. This can be overcome with adjustable motor mounts etc., but it is jest easier to swap out the steering linkage.

Last edited by JMD; 09-03-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by JMD
The six cylinder suspension limits you to 4 lug wheels up to 67, and 2+2 is right, the six springs are too damn soft for a V-8.

The rear leafs are a big issue, and an engine with good torque will "wrap up" the leaf springs causing the pinion yoke to engage the floorboard.... (Ask me how I know).

Is you change to a V-8, you will find that virtually ALL of the suspension and the rear end will need to be replaced. The good news is that all of this stuff for Mustangs can be had at good prices for reproduction parts, and there is always a wide variety of used parts that can work.

Oh yea, the 6 cyl tie rod is an issue regarding clearance with a V-8. This can be overcome with adjustable motor mounts etc., but it is jest easier to swap out the steering linkage.

one of the biggest issues with the sixxer suspension is the spindles they are weak and shouldnt be used with the weight of a v8 because they can snap in half

Quick Reply: Old Mustang Conversion?