Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 mustang- can I pull a small trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
I towed my trailer all over with a 6 cylinder Sprint with manual 9" drum brakes. Even drove down the hill immortalized in Harry Chapin's 30,000 Pounds of Bananas. No problems.

Back in the day, when many cars had drum brakes, it wasn't so critical.
But now even the cheepest new cars have disk brakes and can stop
MUCH faster than a car with front drums, even without a trailer behind.
If you don't drive in any traffic, maybe it's not an issue.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
Back in the day, when many cars had drum brakes, it wasn't so critical.
But now even the cheepest new cars have disk brakes and can stop
MUCH faster than a car with front drums, even without a trailer behind.
If you don't drive in any traffic, maybe it's not an issue.
a) Considering these drum brakes were perfectly capable of locking the wheels even with modern tires, I'm not buying it. I'll grant you that a second hard stop, without cooling the brakes, would be problematic.

b) Don't tailgate. When you hit somebody from behind, the cops assume it's your fault. And it is.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Every stop will heat the brakes more when towing a trailer. Driver experience would be a key factor in whether or not drum brakes are adequate to tow a trailer behind a mustang.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

anybody know where to get a hitch for a 65 fastback? I have a small fiberlgass cargo trailer big enough for a couple of slicks and some tools i would like to tow.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
a) Considering these drum brakes were perfectly capable of locking the wheels even with modern tires, I'm not buying it. I'll grant you that a second hard stop, without cooling the brakes, would be problematic.

b) Don't tailgate. When you hit somebody from behind, the cops assume it's your fault. And it is.
A) Your best braking and control is BEFORE they lock up, NOT after it's skidding. That means the brake pads are slipping and generating ALOT of heat. This is why anti-lock brakes are so effective. Many new cars have anti-lock 4 wheel disk brakes now so that new Camry ahead of you can stop ALOT faster than you!

b) I agree, but those cars with better brakes keep cutting in front of me!
Even the best drivers have to occasionally hit the brakes hard if they drive in any heavy highway traffic.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 09-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

IMO you can tow that trailer just fine, especially if it has trailer brakes (it should).

Many places can install hitches, many U-Haul places will, as will many welding shops.

The only thing that freaks me just a little is your timing set, the stock fiber gears are prone to come apart and block your oil pump... (and slip timing).

If your motor is untouched, I would work this in at some point, both mileage and time are enemies of these gears, and both are long overdue.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on having a Mustang so long, and so stock, wow!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

These are kinda cool, but a little cheesy

http://www.bills-trailers.com/traile...stom/index.cfm
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
IMO you can tow that trailer just fine, especially if it has trailer brakes (it should).

Many places can install hitches, many U-Haul places will, as will many welding shops.

!
I doubt a 6'x12' teardrop will have trailers brakes. My 7'x13' Shasta doesn't even have them. I think the trailer has to be over 2000lbs for electric brakes to be required. You could probably have them installed but I think it would be
a MUCH better value to get front disks installed on your car (and probably about the same price).
Uhaul might have a hitch, but probably not for a car this old. They only install standard bolt-on kits.
Google your town for a trailer hitch installer or trailer supply store.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
I doubt a 6'x12' teardrop will have trailers brakes. My 7'x13' Shasta doesn't even have them. I think the trailer has to be over 2000lbs for electric brakes to be required. You could probably have them installed but I think it would be
a MUCH better value to get front disks installed on your car (and probably about the same price).
Uhaul might have a hitch, but probably not for a car this old. They only install standard bolt-on kits.
Google your town for a trailer hitch installer or trailer supply store.
Well, way back when I remember U-Haul putting a "custom hitch" on my dad's 78 Lincoln, they actually did a good clean job of it. I suppose times have changed....

RV places might be another option.....

Adding electric trailer brakes is neither hard or very expensive for MOST axles, (backing plates can be bought with the components installed and assembled), and . From reading the OP, I get the feeling that he wants to keep his car stock.

I haven't driven a Mustang with drum brakes so I can't comment specifically, but I can say that the drums on my 55 Lincoln are pretty damn good. Good enough that a trailer wouldn't bother me much.

In any case, after towing trailers all my life, (both big and small), I can say with certainty, any size trailer is safer and more under control with GOOD trailer brakes, even if we are talking just one axle.

Towing ANY trailer without brakes gives me that "naked feeling" same as driving without a seat belt.

Last edited by JMD; 09-09-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
SmootGT

I have an original dealer installed 1965 tow hitch that was on my 1965 GT Fastback.

Quick Reply: 65 mustang- can I pull a small trailer?