Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

One turn signal light not blinking

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 AM
mconnelley

Default One turn signal light not blinking

Hello:

I have a '65 Mustang with a turn signal problem. When I set the turn indicator stalk to signal a right turn, the front passenger side turn signal doesn't blink, but the tail light blinks. Both turn indicators on the driver's side work fine when I signal a left turn. When I pull the head light switch half way out, both front turn indicators turn on (steady, no blinking) as expected. Thus, the problematic turn indicator light is getting power, has a good bulb, and has a good ground. What's going on here? The only thing I can think of is a faulty turn signal switch in the steering column. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Cheers
Mike
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Change the bulb.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Mike,
Its a two element bulb (or should be). you can pull the bulb and check for power with a test light or as the "Ax man" says change it. 1157 bulb btw
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM
mconnelley

Hello:

When the light didn't start blinking as expected, the first thing I did was put in a new bulb. I went to the parts store, got a new pack of bulbs, and put in a new one. I can try putting the bulb from the bad light into the working light just to make sure I don't have 2 bad bulbs.

Cheers
Mike
Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

I had that exact same problem, for me it turned out being the turn signal switch. Got a new one from cjpony
Some advice to share when I replaced mine I tied a string to the old wires so when I pulled it through I would have something to guide it back through, rinse and repeat.
Also I was only able to do 2 wires at a time. Not much room to move in there.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:20 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mconnelley
Hello:

When the light didn't start blinking as expected, the first thing I did was put in a new bulb. I went to the parts store, got a new pack of bulbs, and put in a new one. I can try putting the bulb from the bad light into the working light just to make sure I don't have 2 bad bulbs.

Cheers
Mike
I would suspect that the known good lite is not going to work either now that you disclosed you've already tried new bulbs. Most likely is the turn signal switch and the advice about a pull string is right on it - it makes it lot easier to pull that wiring through the column. To make sure it's the ts switch as opposed to wiring problem, you need a test light to probe the socket contact and the TS switch output at the column connector. or you can "shotgun it" and just change the ts switch.