Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Upgrade a manual RP setup to power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Upgrade a manual RP setup to power?

Hi all,

When I first drove my 67, it had stock power steering: feeling was sloppy and way to light. It broke after some time and at first I loved the feeling of manual steering. I bought a kit from MU and a mechanic installed it (I realized now that he kept my pump ).

Fast forward now, I shipped the Mustang in my old country and enjoy it part time during the year. It's in France were everything is a little less wide than in here and it has become a pain to park and drive at low speed. My wife cannot drive it at all now and I would like to get a better experience by upgrading the whole steering.

I am looking at Unisteer, it has good reviews and the cost is my range (take into account that I need to add $250 for shipping).

I was wondering if I could go for a manual setup (pretty cheap) first to see how it goes. I read that it can ease low speed manœuvres a little bit but some people disagree.

Would it be possible to get a manual setup and upgrade it to power if that is not enough?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

The only thing they have in common is the mounting brace, you would not be saving anything by going manual first. With that kinda shipping I would go full power, I cant imagine that shipping rate would change much?

You may look at Aeroform, they may have a dealer on your side of the pond?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Coupe has it about nailed, even the input shaft is in a different place (man rack vs. power rack).

I think that even a manual rack will turn easier than the the stock power steering without the power part.

Normally power steering uses a faster ratio box (fewer turn lock to lock) than a manual setup would. I think the early Mustangs followed this rule also.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

JMD you seem to be saying that the manual rack will be better already which I tend to believe as way. The issue is that would be a pretty expensive mistake if that's not the case
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by _Remi
Thanks to both of you for the replies.

JMD you seem to be saying that the manual rack will be better already which I tend to believe as way. The issue is that would be a pretty expensive mistake if that's not the case
Yea, expensive for sure, that is why I didn't all out recommend it.

My son has a manual rack on his 66 coupe, I think it steers pretty easy, but everyone might not agree with me, in fact I heard this evening that he is thinking of going power.....
Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Ah ah ok, power steering it is! Now let's empty my pockets
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
MustangFTW

I am going with JMD on this, I drove a manual steering 67 when I was looking for a car,it was not bad at all.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Just another opinion here:

My 67 has manual steering (20:1 ratio). It steers easy enough while moving however you do have muscle it a bit when stopped (parking, etc).

While I don't mind the "muscle" aspect of the drive, I really dislike the slow ratio. I realize this is necessary to get leverage when not moving. However, when making a right hand turn (at say only 20 mph) I am grasping hand-over-hand to spin the steering wheel quickly just to get the car pointed where I want it. My wife says I look like I'm juggling while performing turns. I should also note that I changed my steering wheel from the original 15" to a grant 14". The smaller wheel only seemed to make this issue more noticable. Less steering wheel circumference for my hand over hand procedure and less leverage on slow turns.

To sum it up, I am currently considering a power steering upgrade.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM
MustangFTW

With power steering I barely have to turn the wheel to make a turn, it's nice.