Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear glass,69 coupe owners please read...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear glass,69 coupe owners please read...

Here is what's going on, I have had a glass place install and reinstall my rear window w/a new seal THREE times now and it is still leaking. Worst part of this is that since I used the shop my father suggested (which is 70 miles away) I can't be there to examine the car (or yell in the shop's face).
I was hoping that a few fellas with 69 coupes could take a picture of their rear window from inside the car. I want to see what the rear seal is supposed to look like from the inside with glass installed. If they don't get it right this time I am going someplace else, I am considering asking for some sort of refund for all the time and hassle this has been. Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

Is it leaking between the glass and the gasket or is it between the gasket and the body ?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Between the gasket and the body. The first 2 times it was done it was leaking alot. The 3rd time it was just a little. I just wanted to verify that the seal should be visible from inside the car.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

What do they say, ask where they are getting the seal maybe you can refer them to an aftermarket company other than what they are using?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

Yes you should see the seal from the inside, they just didn't get enough sealer in it when they installed it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

@mustangstofear: that was what I thought on both those things.
@couper: I bought the seal from mustangsplus and gave it to them to use.

So basically all 3 times my impression is that they just weren't using enough gasket material. Old Ford cars tend to need more than other makes. I am crossing my fingers they don't screw things up this time.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

I have another You Tube video almost done on how to properly install a windshield or backglass without it leaking.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangsToFear
… they just didn't get enough sealer in it when they installed it.
I agree. If they are not using nearly two whole tubes of 3M Glass Bedding Compound, they are going cheapskate on you. Even Ford specifies using a LOT of sealant on this glass. When you do it Ford's way, you don't even need to test it after you are done, you will know.

Clean the pinchweld on the car. Mask the paint to keep it clean, install the clips, and mark where they are on the tape.

Install a new seal on the glass. Using cord in the pinchweld slot, install the glass.

Pump the glass slot of the seal full of GBC, and using a nylon bone tool, press the seal firmly against the glass.

Pump the pinchweld slot full of GBC, paying special attention to the clips, so they are saturated and to not become water channels.

Use the bone tool to force the GBC into the slot as much as it will take.

Install the moulding immediately, while the GBC is soft. The marks on the tape will help get them on without damage, even the softer repros.

Clean off the excess GBC with paper towels and spot remover or turpentine. Remove the mask.

If you are totally paranoid, turn a hose on it to be sure it doesn't leak. It won't, but maybe you will sleep better knowing you just did the job 100% better than the "professionals".

Last edited by 2+2GT; 04-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I had the same issue on my rear window. I was talking to "professionals" who swear no compound is to be used. Taking their advice, it leaked badly. I ended up doing it myself after having the professional window guys out twice. I started with a new gasket and used at least two tubes of the compund. It was a mess and a stressful job because everything I touched was gooped up from the compund.

But needeless to say, it doesn't leak. I hose tested it for a long time and didn't see a drop. The compound is critical, and using enough of it. That is what seals out the water, the gasket simply holds the glass in place. I did the front windshield the same way. That was actually a harder job. They are both in and don't leak. There are you tube videos out there on how to properly install glass using these double channel rubber gaskets.

The problem with these glass installer's today is that they do not deal with the double gasketed installs. They are all glue in these days.
Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

The only thing we do different is we use urethane between the gasket and the glass. It makes for a lot less messier job and seals much better.

Quick Reply: Rear glass,69 coupe owners please read...