Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Cinnamonlips

Default Turn Signal Problem

Okay so this is my first post so please bear with me.

I have been having a very frustrating and ongoing problem with my turn signals and brake lights. My turn signals are simply not working properly. When I put on my right indicator the dash like flickers, stutter almost, and then proceeds to flash semi regularly. When I put on the left indicator the dash light stays solid. With both indicators there is a weird noise that comes from somewhere behind the dash. I've checked my fuses, checked the bulbs, replaced my flasher unit, and even just replaced my flasher switch to no avail. I am super frustrated that I can not seem to figure out what the problem is. I also replaced my emergency flasher switch because my old one disintegrated, and the emergency flashers work perfectly. (the dash lights flash at regular intervals, as do the exterior lights, and there is no strange noise behind the dash).

The only apparent problem I am having with my brake lights is that they do not activate immediately when I engage the brakes. I have to push really hard on the pedal to get them to come on, and to do so I usually have to be at a complete stop so that really does't do me any good. I did have my brake system upgraded to power assisted brakes a while back so idk if that might make a significant difference.

Anyway this has been driving me crazy and preventing me from being able to take my car out. I really hate having to leave it parked all the time but I am not comfortable driving it without properly working indicators. I seriously appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

To effectively answer your questions, you need to provide just a little more info. First, what steering wheel are you using - original or aftermarket.
Second, what model year Mustang do you have?
On 65-68 Mustangs, the brake light switch is on the brake pedal under the dash. Although all of the switches look identical, there is a specific switch for power brakes and another for manual brakes. The spring in the switches is different.
You need to first check the turn signal switch plug under the dash to insure it is properly plugged into the dash harness. That being good, you will probably have to remove the steering wheel to check the condition of the turn signal harness at that end. Aftermarket wheels are notorious for wrecking the harness cancel arms.
Best,
Al
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Cinnamonlips

It's a 66, and the steering wheel is the original. I meant to include that I actually just replaced my turn signal switch and it has not changed anything.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Cinnamonlips

Still no solution, any help would be fantastic!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

The difference between the two circuits are the power sources. Both flashers use the turn signal switch to coordinate the lights that turn on. The source of power comes from the headlight switch for the brake switch thru a green red wire. The Signals flasher gets power thru a yellow wire from the master junction in the wire harness. You may want to take the inst panel out and inspect that junction joint for connection and chaffing. the brake issue may just be a bad switch they do fail.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

What condition is the headlight switch in? That could explain the weird sounds (mine made sounds when it went bad). Check and make sure none of the connector pins are loose, dirty, or otherwise funky. As for the brake lights, perhaps you do not have the correct brake light switch or it is broken/funky.