Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Accel electronic conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default New Accel electronic conversion

Has anyone converted their dist to the Accel pointless system. I was in a hurry today and slammed it in before I had to go to the football game at the high school. I did as the directions stated and the car won't start. It acted like it wanted to but seems to be out of time. I installed in at TDC and no matter where I move the dist it won't start. Like I said, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to really mess with it. I do know I followed the directions to the T. All the wires are correct. I even bought one of their coils and installed it. The system installed very quickly and easily. I was going to do the pertronix but would have had to order it. I went to Schucks and found this one. They said it was new and didn't even know they had it. Of course they don't know much there, trust me.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New Accel electronic conversion

If you have a 289 with the firing order of 15426378, then you need to change the firing order to that of a 351 which is 13726548 with that distributor.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:20 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Maybe I missed something. Did you also change the cam? That's the only thing that would require a change to firing order.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 69FECoupe

Maybe I missed something. Did you also change the cam? That's the only thing that would require a change to firing order.
Yeah, you are right. I thought he had changed the dizzy too. That is a 12 volt system just like the Pertronix. Make sure your Mustang has a 12 volt coil on it. Try hooking it up to a 12 volt switched supply and see if it fires.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Hey guys,

I did change the cam last month but have been running it since. I decided to go with elec ign so I found the accel and wanted to try it. It is not the complete dist but the conversion kit. It was very easy to install. I pulled the #1 plug and checked TDC and everything is correct. I checked to see if the rotor assy was down too far and maybe blocking the pickup sensor. Everything is good. I get the popping and gas spraying out of the carb treatment. It almost wants to start and sometimes does for a second before she burps gas out the carb. It's definately out of time but I don't understand, eveything is in order. I have tried fully retarded and fully advanced as far as I can move the dist without bumping it a gear. The rotor is lined up with the #1 plug wire! Can the elec ign system change the timing much more where I might have to bump it a gear? I took the cap off again and seen that there are some hairy pock mark burn crators next to the copper pickups. I have never seen it that bad before. Any suggestions? I just replaced the coil when I did the conversion. It is their coil that eliminates the need for an inline resistor(although the 68 already has a resistor wire).
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Picture of cap.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21693/B176022E497C49EE9FD91563C3E0CAA7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

As long as you didn't pull the distributor you should have been able to install it even if the motor wasn't at TDC. If it were me, I'd swap the old coil back in and see if it starts. If it does, your new coil is defective. If it doesn't, your new conversion module is most likely defective.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:56 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Progress report.

I got the timing light on her and was able to start the engine. Popped and ran like crap. Dipped the Holley last night and rebuilt it today(I'm partial to Holleys). Still runs like crap. Idles OK with a little inconsistency. When I give it gas it now pops out the exhaust. I'm wondering if this accel conversion kit isn't a piece of crap! I changed out the coil like 69FE had mentioned. It ran the same so I put the accel coil back on. Still scratching my head. Should I run the power from the accel to a 12V source. I wonder if I am having the problems people were having with the pertronix. I thought that was at about 5000RPM though.