Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Resto Update: Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
74CometGT

Default Resto Update: Pistons?

Hey everybody,
I said I'd keep you guys updated so here goes:
I've stripped the engine down to bare block and main bearings (Going to get it boiled and honed tomorrow) so now for a relatively tricky question.

One of the pistons cracked upon getting it out of the cylinder and I ended up with a nick in the cylinder wall, and a broken skirt on a piston. So I'm planning on getting new pistons, new rods*, a new mild cam, and new lifters to rebuild the engine into a mild performance engine that's streetable but fun when i want to step on it.

My question is, what kind if pistons should i go with to increase compression to a sustainable amount (Maybe 9.5:1 or something around there?) and then what size cam would compliment that well? I have a standard bore, and standard crank (pretty much all original) but the original engine from 1974 had dished pistons. So I'm curious if i could go with flat top pistons or even domed pistons and be okay? Any thoughts? (Keep in mind im a very young mechanic working on this project in my garage, I have some experience since i used to work with my dad in a restoration shop for a few years, but i would appreciate any and all advice)

*For those of you curious as to why im replacing the rods, it's because the person i got it from apparently built the engine with junkyard parts because the numbers that are stamped into the rods are completely off from where theyre supposed to be in the block. I have 2 rods marked #1 and two rods marked #6 and the rest of the rods are all mixed up between the cylinders. The only one that was the correct cylinder hole was #5. (I restamped them all just incase i have to use them again) But what kind of rods are good replacements?