Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Mustang getting mild 302, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 AM
copracr
1st Gear Member

Default New Mustang getting mild 302, some questions

I got the car in the condition I wanted. It's a 66 coupe with manual everything, but it's the 6cyl version. As much as I like it now, I think it needs a mild V8. I picked up a 91 GT roller motor and have some questions about the swap.

First, pics:

and the engine is a 91 long block with non roller tappets:

So some questions.
I have a front cover from an older 302 that has a mechanical fuel pump hole and a dipstick hole. Can it swap in no problem? Will I still be able to use the reverse rotation water pump?

Can I just bolt the fuel pump eccentric to any cam or does it need to be specific?

Do fox body long tubes work? I don't have power steering taking up space.

It looks like the only oil pan that will fit is a front sump?

For a mild build, is the non roller a problem? I don't know how much roller tappets are worth power wise.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

I got the car in the condition I wanted. It's a 66 coupe with manual everything, but it's the 6cyl version. As much as I like it now, I think it needs a mild V8. I picked up a 91 GT roller motor and have some questions about the swap.

I have a front cover from an older 302 that has a mechanical fuel pump hole and a dipstick hole. Can it swap in no problem?

yes but you need to plug the dipstick hole on the block.

Will I still be able to use the reverse rotation water pump?

xlnt question

Can I just bolt the fuel pump eccentric to any cam or does it need to be specific?

the cam has nothing to do with if. the eccentric bolts to the cam gear. i do not know if it will bolt to yours. you might need to buy a new timing set. decent ones are 30.00.

Do fox body long tubes work?

another xlnt question but i doubt it.

It looks like the only oil pan that will fit is a front sump?

nope, buy the orig pan and oil pump pick up.

For a mild build, is the non roller a problem?

no, non rollers can make 400 hp if you have the money. a new boss block will take 1000 hp.

I don't know how much roller tappets are worth power wise.

hard to say because they require stiffer spring and the stiffer springs eat power but maybe 5% more hp with a roller wheel. the cams can be made more aggressive with a roller however.

you need to run a thinner gasket than the std .040 and mill the heads to get your compression up. you need stiffer valve springs and with those heads, a comp 255DEH or XE256H or XE262H cam will work nicely for a small bump in power. if you want a big bump you need to throw those heads in the nearest trash bin and buy some aluminum ones.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=808&sb=0

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=798&sb=0

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=799&sb=0

the bigger the cam the numerically higher the rear gears to be.

ok, you just put a heavier, higher hp engine in your car so you need to stiffen the sispension with stiffer springs, shocks and bigger sway bar.

you should also upgrade the bekes because the 6 cyl ones are a little weak for a v8 car but will still "work".

6 cyl rear end and steering pieces are also weaker than v8 ones but will "work" if you don't beat the c__p out of the car.

if you have an auto trans you need to get a v8 servo for it.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-07-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

You can use the reverse rotation water pump with an older style timing cover. I am doing in in my 66. However, as stated you will need to change out the location of the dip stick. Also you may be limited in your water Po ump choice. It seems as though I was only able to find one water pump that fit the old style timing cover that is reverse rotation. It happened to be from a 85 pickup with a 302.
I also noticed that after doing so, my car runs a little hitter than it used to. It could be coincidence but that is what I have found.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Also, are you anywhere near AZ. I would be happy to purchase the 6 cyl. From you. I can use it on an econoline project I have. I will be happy to come get it. I do have to drive to OK soon too. Maybe you are on the way?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 PM
copracr
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys

MonsterBilly- I'm in ohio, it's a little out of the way but I could put it on a pallet if it's worth it to you. I have two of these motors that came with the car.

barnett468- I'm not too worried about squeezing power out of this one, I just want it to be reliable and sound nice. My plans are to install an AOD with this engine, then stiffen the chassis, then tear apart the suspension/brakes, then build an aluminum head 351w/built AOD to swap in. Until I get the frame reinforced, I don't want to pretzel anything with too much power or grip.

Last edited by copracr; 10-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

and AOD will not hold up to a built 351. if you flog on it, it will grenade the trans. you will need something stronger.
you could do a c6 with a gear vendor overdrive.

https://www.gearvendors.com/
Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 PM
copracr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
and AOD will not hold up to a built 351. if you flog on it, it will grenade the trans. you will need something stronger.
you could do a c6 with a gear vendor overdrive.

https://www.gearvendors.com/
Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking into it and it's looking like I might have to spring for a 4r70/5w. I'm looking into using a 4r100 since I'm more familiar with those from my diesel truck days and I probably have enough odds and ends to rebuild one, but I'm thinking they won't fit in the tunnel and I can't think of one that will fit a sbf.