Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stang vs. Vette Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM
iProZombies

Question Stang vs. Vette Project

I'm almost 15 now, and have decided that I'm gonna give a shot and my hardest at building my first car. I just have one problem, I can't decide whether or not to do a chrome bumpers C3 Corvette, or a 66/67 Fastback Mustang. I also don't have a set budget and I live in California. Any suggestions regarding any good ideas for resto-mods and anything that shows why either side is the way to go is much appreciated! Thank you for the help!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:37 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

While I do like vettes, I think classic mustangs give people a chance to really personalize their car more than most other models (huge replacement parts industry/aftermarket). As someone that started working on my 69' at 14 years old, I strongly recommend starting with a decent running v8 car and to put disc brakes on it first thing if it doesn't have them. Don't dismantle the car thinking you will put it back together...I did not do this, but my car is still not 'done' a decade later. If you are not set on a fastback, much more of your money spent would go to good use if you got a coupe. I also highly recommend trolling forums for how-to's and information. That said, around an autocross or track a c3 is much easier to make fast than a classic mustang...however they are small cars with little room.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:47 PM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

Those are two different animals. I had a few stingrays before, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would not choose a corvette as my first car to restore.

A) They are harder to work on both mechanically and due to the fiberglass body. I've seen people cut a hole in the floorboard to replace parts in the engine compartment because you just can't get to them without pulling the motor.

B) They are more expensive to buy parts for (because "vette" somehow = "$$$" to vendors)

C) Not nearly as many aftermarket options

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:21 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I think both a c3 and 67/8 mustang are quickly getting out of a lot of people's price ranges....I will say though that you can basically build a 67/8 from a catalog not so much with the c3.

Have you thought about a mid 80s fox?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:31 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the hardest thing to work on in the vette is the dash and under dash wiring and rear end if you need to remove it.

the engine is a v8 small block chevy so its easy to find parts for just like the ford is . . trans is the same way.

buy the one that gets you most excited but bear in mind that the fastback has a lot more interior room . . it can seat 4 . . you can get a fold down rear seat to put stuff on or just to have it look cool . . in other words, the fastback is a lot more useful and it will get noticed more . . plus chicks dig em and there is no back seat in a corvette.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-08-2015 at 04:33 PM.