Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

possible ignition wiring/parts failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default possible ignition wiring/parts failure

I have a Frankenstien ford.

I have most of a painless wiring kit.

I have Atomic EFI

I have a streetfire box

My problem is when the engine gets hot, it does not want to start. it will turn over fine but wont fire. During this time, the LED light on the street fire box is not lit. It does flash quickly while turning over. When the engine is running, the light is on at the box. it appears solid but i bet it is flashing rapidly and just appears solid.
With the key on, i do not have 12v on the + side of the coil. (i have not checked if i have 12v on the coil while turning over but not running)
Even though the light is off, it is getting at least 12 volts power to the box.

Now, The Atomic EFI has its own oil pressure switch. Is it possible that once it is warm the oil is thinner and it is not registering pressure so it keeps the engine from firing?

I do notice that while turning over, the handheld for the Atomic EFI powers off. Is is possible that it is hooked up to the wrong terminal so it is not getting enough voltage to fire the injectors? Maybe i need a different power source for the EFI computer!

Sorry, im kind of asking 3 questions at once!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:13 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I think I made a poor observation. The oil pressure switch is ruled out because it is part of the VHX gauges, not the EFI....