Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need inputs for subwoofer boxes in my vert.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

Default Need inputs for subwoofer boxes in my vert.

I will have two of these boxes here, similar but maybe a bit smaller for each box to hold 12 in subs. I need you guys to suggest which sub to goin these boxes being poweredan MA Audio amplifier which I will be purchasing soon.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/easter9053/Speakerbox.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-1000-Watt-RMS-Amp-MA-Audio-M700xe-2-Channel-Stereo_W0QQitemZ110080728368QQihZ001QQcategoryZ798 19QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll be sliding the boxes underneath the very small space underneath the rear deck/convertible top storage area in my 93 GT convertible. Please help with any inputs. [align=right][/align]
Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need inputs for subwoofer boxes in my vert.

I'd be cautious about buying that amp. 1000 watts for under $100? I don't think so. There's a reason why brand name amps are so much more money, and you may find out what that reason is the hard/expensive way.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Ma audio is not a horrible brand, but it isn;t the best either. That amp is a 2x250 RMS at 4 ohms, and 2x500 at 2 ohms. The 2x250 will be good enough to get the job done, but it will be what they call a dirty base. It won't be as crisp or clear as if it was a MTX, or JL amp. And as for placeing the subs in the space below the top storage area you will not get the best audion there because the subs will be facing the sky. If they are facing the cab you will have better results, but then you lose trunk space that is valuable for a vert owner. And you might want to look at the space in the boxes compaired to the subs requirements. 12's need some room and those boxes might not be able to provided enough. and if you have anything stored in that area where to top folds down it could push down on the subs, causeing horrible sound, an possible damage is you don't have a good grill on the speaker. That being said I run a Profile amp which is about equal to the quality of that MA audio and the same power, it has worked great for me and was like $100 shipped off E-bay. I mounted my amps (I have one for interior speakers as well) in the storage space, and am building a box (2 10's)for the truck that can be removed if the space is suddenly needed (long road trip or something).
Old 01-18-2007, 05:20 PM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

Well how about a custom made box that would fit right underneath the rear deck with two 10's facing the rear of the car? Would this sound better or face it towards the cabin? That MA Audio anp is good and cheap and I hear from talking with some other guys that this amp is worth the money. Yes, I know the price is flimsy for something like an amp, but I would rather pay cheap for an decent amplifier than to pay out the *** for a good quality one. I may pay good money for an amp to power my cabin speakers one day. I'm using an old Alpine Flex 5 amp now. Sounds nice with plenty of power for my speakers. The convertibles do not offer that much space at all. I also may look into using the spare tire well (no spare is in it anyway) for a amp rack or something or space to custom build a box. More input from youu guys please.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

IIRC there is only like 5 inches or room or so underneath that area, so I don't thik you are going to have enough room to mount 10inch subs there. I have built all my boxes in my vehicles over the years, and it isn't that big of a deal and customs are always cheaper to build then buying a pre-fab box. It would soounds better with them facing the cab, but you are going to have enough bass that it wouldn;t make that big a difference. I don;t know of a way around using some of you trunk space for the subs if you are putting them in your trunk. I am building a box to hold 2 10's somethime in the next two weeks (When I get the time), and I can send you some pics of it when I get it in. But it is going to be a portted box so it will be bigger then if you went with a sealed box. I also keep a MTX 10" box around so I can through that in if I need more trunk space, or just go without subs if needed. If you can give us some specifics on how much trunk space you are willing to give up we might be able to help more as well. You can mount the amp under the pass seat and not have it in the trunk to save room. Running the wires is super easy in a vert.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:20 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

What is this storage area you speak about?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 AM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

I would like to see the box with lots of pics when you get them. I'm also thinking about using some of my spare tire area for something. I don't have a spare tire. Just something to consider later on, I guess.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:54 PM
MollyMustang
1st Gear Member

I removed my spare because I have roadside assistance now. The spare tire well works great as a speaker box! I have two 10's and it sounds like when I had two 12's. The best part is you get to keep your trunk.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...g/IMG_0019.jpg

You can see the finished product here except for putting some wire loom on the amp wires. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 AM
72351CJ
1st Gear Member

I will be placing 8s or possibly 10 in mine, I have a friend than makes custom boxes in Orlando.. He is making the box so it will hold the cd changer amp and woofers and take up limited room.

I was looking at either 8s or 10s, as they both provide a big enough speaker that can sound really great in the cabin.

Gawd why do you need 12s in a vert?(Must the the teen to 20's somthing crowd) They write tickets every day it seemsfor loud music. In Fla ifthey can hear it 20ft away your gonna get some paper, becides as of the 30th If a police officer sees you with out a seatbelt on theycan stop you for it..

I used to own my own radio business, yeah go out and buy Brand name products, the more you spend the better the product, keep telling your self that.. LOL!

I used to buy my stuff from the same place the other stereo shops did.. It made me sick to walk into a shop and see kicker boxes being sold for $400 (they reallycost the shop $190) Amps that are sold for $500 that really cost $200.

Or the Alpine radio w/cd sold for $350 and the real cost was $150, same goes for blapuncte "Spell check' ..

Theres a big mark-up on car electronics, supply / demand . All we are doing is lining someones pockets with extra green, oh yeah you pay more for the name than the product. Example: Sony makes a radio, radio shack wants that same radio, sony makes TANDY the radio with the TANDY name on it and the radio costs less because it has the TANDY name on it..

Good luck !