Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise and driver's door alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:23 AM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

Default Wind noise and driver's door alignment...

I will be attempting soon to see what's wrong with my driver's door. I have to slam it hard in order to keep it closed fully. When it's closed fully a small portion of the driver's side glass rest on the frame of the back window metal causing a shiny area on the metal where it's been closed so many times against it.Sometimes when I slam the door hard in my convertible the driver's side window seems to come out of alignment also and sits uneven in the window. So after slamming the door for the 2nd time while driving, I have to lower the driver's side window a tad then let it up again to get it back aligned. I also have some wind noise. (I know there is wind noise in my 93 conv) but this wind noise is pretty obvious and I believe can be fixed. The weatherstripping on the driver's side looks to be intact in most places but I would rather try to see why my driver's door isn't aligning up right 1st. I've heard of replacing the driver's door hinges. Have any of you guys replaced your door hinges? (Also my driver's door hinges doesn't seem to have nothing to stop it from fully swinging out. Is there a safety mechanism to have it slow down the full swing like most cars have or is this the way Mustangs are?)
Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wind noise and driver's door alignment...

How are the door hinges? Open the door slightly, grab the door from the bottom & "lift".. does it move up much?

Also, I don't know what you mean by a stopper to keep the door opening all the way? The Stang door work about the same way as any other door I've ever used.. if it did manage to open too far then it would start denting the door or fender skin(?)
Old 01-19-2007, 08:30 PM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

Well, I did the "open the door slightly and lift up on the door test" today. Yes, I do have some give in the door and it seems to be coming from the bottom door hinge. I wonder if I can get away with just replacing the pin and bushing as opposed to the entire hinge. Should I replace both hinges on the drivers door if only one hinge seems to have some play? I'm tired of having to close and reopen the door because it would have totally closed.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea you should replace both hinges if you're getting a lot of movement from that lift test. Both hinges are aged the same amount, and I don't think they're very expensive anyway. The pain in the **** part is getting them installed. You can try doing it yourself & save some labor $'s, or have it done if you're not feeling up to doing it yourself.

How's the passenger door?

Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 AM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

The passenger door is about the same. I went ahead and ordered the repair kit with pins and bushing and door stops from 50.resto.Went ahead and orderd some door strikikers too.I would like to replace the hinges because the car is over13 years old. I looked at them and said "Damn, How am I going to get those off?" due to the hinges looking like they are welded on. If the repair kit doesn't work (which it should) then I will buy the hinges and have a body shop put them on after I paint them the color of the car of course. (Got to find some matching paint from somewhere)
Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

Well here I purchased some door repair pins and bushings from 50resto.com and installed them on the driver's door only so far. I followed the instructions for the most part and had to remove the entire door on the car using a floor jack with a towel on it to keep from scratching the door. I really didn't know how much the door weighed and it came off the hinges when I pulled out the old pins. The door fell toward the garage floor and chipped away some paint off my driver's side body molding. I had to wrestle the door back on the hinges and believe me with one person only doing this repair was a hard thing to do. When I get to doing the passenger door, I will know what to do and what kind of tools I will need to keep the door from falling to the floor again. Also when the door fell to the floor, I already had some old soft carpet to use as padding so it wasn't scratches and dents on my door. The bushings were the hardest to come off because I didn't know how to take it off. I had to beat them out of the holes as you can see in the pictures with a dowel or something big enough to slightly fit in the holes and using a hammer to beat them out of the holes. I use pliers to fit the new bushings back on which seemed hard at first but wasn't that difficult due to the fact they just need some pressure to fit in the holes. I also replaced the door stop thinggy which is white. This solved the issue of my driver's door swinging ALLLLL THHEEE WAAAYYY OUUUTTT! Now my driver's door swings away partially and then stops. If I want to open it up further I just push harder, instead of the door just swinging all the way out when you first open the door hitting whatever is in it's path. The pins in the driver's door and bushing look like they have already been replaced some time ago. Comparing the driver's side and the passenger side door pins and bushing, the passenger's side still have the original paint on them indicating that they haven't been replaced. The passenger's door is worse shape than the driver's door.

Overall, I am very pleased with the door pins and bushing repair. My driver's door opens and closes a lot better and seems more in line with the car. It STILL has some play in it with the door partially open and lifting up on it from the bottom, but not nearly as much as it had before. I could really use some new hinges but for now this will do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32314/FFD9B8B0E6BD4015B69BA6AB694E0F93.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32314/4A02A9E48ACF4081A521D87E62C075A1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32314/0F05D485112D4D64817655F45E661AEE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32314/7EBD46715A5B4F11B9A32A2D88223C1E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32314/FDEF950829114484BDE4FCC6B2E0791E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2007, 02:10 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Wow I'm glad to hear the story had a happy ending lol yes that's a TOUGH job to do alone! Shops have special door holding dollies they just wheel up to the car & it holds them level. Next time maybe wrap a soft rope around the door & tie it up to a celing joist maybe(?)

Even new doors do have a little bit of up-down play in them.. try lifting a door on a friends car that is newer. And if the bushing replacement didn't make the door work perfectly there is some adjustment available at the hinge bolts too. But anyway, good to hear the doors are better now!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:01 AM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

You and me both. I will tackle the other door probably some time next week. I also replaced the door striker on the driver's side. It's all good.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 PM
easter9053
2nd Gear Member

Attempted tackling the passenger's door and no luck. It had the original pins and bushings in them and I banged, chiseled, and tried to pry those things out of the door hinges to no avail. Looks like the driver's pins and bushing had been replaced some time ago before I got the car and were simple to get out. Does anyone know of how much it would cost to have the hinges and pins/bushings replaced in my passenger side door in my 93 vert? How much labor in hours is this going to take?