Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and having probs with regulators

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Wh1tetrash

Default New and having probs with regulators

Just starting to address the many cosmetic issues of my car, and the min one is a missing quarter window and the lack of movement out of the other window... when i play with the switch i obviously hear the motors making a repetitive clicking noise, but of course no movement...

Are the quarter window regulators known as going bad often on the fox verts? Anybody know of a good source for new/used regulators? Anybody know of a how-to to get to those things? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. TIA.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

The quarter windows and other ford window motors are known to do what you're talking about. There is a little plastic gear inside that goes bad and breaks. i think there are 3 of them in one motor but i'm not positive. I've never replaced the gears, but i've read and heard that its not that hard. You can get the plastic gears at Autozone. In fact my friend and i were at AZ the other day and he grabbed the pack of plastic gear things and said "hey if your window every stops working its usually these things"

To get to the rear motors you have to take of the inner panels on either side. I have the back seat out so i don't know if you can take the panels off with the seat in or not, but its 3 screws. Pull it out away from side you're working on(it'll still be connected because of the seat belt) and the you should be able to see/access the motor.

I need to do min bc mine goes down but won't go up for the life of it.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Wh1tetrash

thanks for the info, yeah the motors both make a popping sound so i figure it must be something like those gears..

since you also have a vert, i got a few q's:

1. Are there supposed to be speakers in those panels? And if so are there supposed to be mounting brackets behind there?
2. Do you have speakers in your doors? mine have holes with plastic over them but no speakers, so that confuses me..
3. Are there bolts or screws that usually hold the rear seats in? i just kinda slid em right out..
Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wh1tetrash
thanks for the info, yeah the motors both make a popping sound so i figure it must be something like those gears..

since you also have a vert, i got a few q's:

1. Are there supposed to be speakers in those panels? And if so are there supposed to be mounting brackets behind there?
2. Do you have speakers in your doors? mine have holes with plastic over them but no speakers, so that confuses me..
3. Are there bolts or screws that usually hold the rear seats in? i just kinda slid em right out..
1. i believe there are mounting brackets behind the speaker, but i'm not 100% sure, but yeah there suppose to be speakers back there. i believe 5x7's
2. Yeah there are suppose to be speakers in the doors too, i think 5 1/2's.
3. The bottom seat slides in and is suppose to lock underneath a bar i believe. i don't know how the top piece sits in.

i haven't had time and funds to mess with my interior and its been awhile since i put the speakers in(like 5 yrs ago) and since then the backs blew and now i only have one back there thats not hooked up. but it doesn't really matter right now since i have the whole console out (had to pull the shifter to drop the tranny) so there is no sound at the moment. but it won't be long before i hook up a deck, some infinity's and JL audio sub.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
aja8888
1st Gear Member

Look on Ebay for replacement window regulators. I bought one for my 2002.