Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should the water go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM
01red

Question Where should the water go?

I have a 2001 Convertible that is leaking water to the floor. I have removed the trim work at the bottom of the top to see if there are any drain holes not letting the water out. I cannot find any drain holes in the design.

Am I missing these holes or are there none?

If there are none, where is the water expected to go?

The way I see it, the water will flow along the bottom pf the roof under the trim pieces and into the rear quarter panel in front of the wheel well and into the floor.

If this is the case, then it is to be designed that the floors will be flooded in rains, enven with a new top. I don't think that is the case.

So again, where should the water go?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
bc2k

Smile Water should stay outside

Hi,

There *are* some exterior "body" drains, at least one on each rear quarter. I've not found them but I see their effect: when I run a low-flowing hose along the base of the top starting at the back of the rear side windows, water starts dripping from the forward part of the wheel wells. Pouring a cup of water along there has the same effect. So if water's not reaching those drains in your car, my guess is it's finding a hole first.

I think it's safe to say under normal circumstances you shouldn't be seeing any water on the floor. I've just found leaks in my 01 convertible too; in my case they're near the bottom corners where the rear window section meets the sides. Water collects in the vinyl "pocket" that holds the lowered top. I'm guessing if that vinyl section had rips in the corners, or if the water got high enough to reach the small velcro'd flaps on the back seat, it could easily end up in the trunk or on the floor.

Let me know what you find, and good luck.