Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a few opinions

Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a few opinions

Buddy of mine has a 63,000 mile 1992 LX convertible that I am really interested in. It came with:

-an AOD(which is awesome because I really want to do a reverse valve body)

-a "good" 5.0 HO with what appeared to be the completely top end, I put quotes around good because quite frankly it looks like crap, which is fine because I have a carbed 86 motor that I would put in it anyway

-complete interior that he and my brother put together, looks and feels solid when you tug on it but I don't know if they destroyed any of those god forsaken delicate plastic hangers they used on basically everything. Oh and they spray bombed it black, pretty classy huh?

I am aware that rebuilding a second hand transmission is something I can't get around, and if I want to do a reverse valve body and shift kit I might as well anyways. I am also aware that if it came with a 4 cylinder that a conversion needed to take place, and this guy says it did. I just have some questions that I would love to have answered by some of you guys because I keep hearing bad things from my brother, but in all reality he doesn't know too much and most the **** he tells me ends up being wrong, but in any case, I want a second opinion.

1. Are 5.0 converted LX's "rickity" or hard to drive due to the car not being designed to have a 5.0 in it?

2. Are the suspension upgrades expensive?

3. Will I need seriously expensive brake upgrades to make the car stop for a damn? I'm aware that it's definitely a good idea, but I was told THOUSANDS of dollars to make the car stop like it did stock, and I have a real hard time swallowing that one.

4. Different driveshaft?

5. If I want to go 8.8 rear, do all 8.8 axle housings bolt right onto LX models? Or do I you need to special order those?

6. I heard they require special sized radiators, not sure if that's true or not.

7. How much of a difference are the wiring harnesses from 4 cylinders to 8 cylinders? Obviously there's 4 more cylinders, but after the extra number of spark plug wires and different firing order are there any differences at all?

I would also just like general advise before I undertake a project like this. The car itself is actually very solid, no exterior rust what so ever. The interior is apparently all wired up and ready to go, including the top, which is also in great shape. Any answers/tips/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you'll be fine

not sure about being happy with an AOD, they are the worst trans ever made. but you can look into lentech

a stock AOD eqiuipped car will be a full second slower than the exact same car with a T5, for various reasons reasons including shift points, gearing and just pure sloppiness

the suspension upgrades you talk about might not be necessary. is it going to be an autocross car ? or more daily driver with emphasis on 1/4 mile ??? the 4 cyl front end is BETTER for drag racing.

the 8.8 will bolt right in, you need an AOD specific DS they are longer. an aod will work in a t5 car...but not the other way around ( or i said it backwards...lol)

if the current cooling system works...leave it, but add a trans cooler. AOD's are SUPER weak and heat will kill it quick. if it runs warm now...then yes go with a good 3 row or even stock replacement from "be cool" or another good brand

i know nothing of the harness issues with a converted car

the only other thing i can think of this....estimate what you'll have into it...then add more for what you overlooked or will break changing stuff out.

converted cars dont have the value of an original 5.0 car, but that doesnt mean too much.

just make sure you didnt spend what you could have just a 5.0 for to begin with

have fun with it....keep us posted
Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
you'll be fine

not sure about being happy with an AOD, they are the worst trans ever made. but you can look into lentech

a stock AOD eqiuipped car will be a full second slower than the exact same car with a T5, for various reasons reasons including shift points, gearing and just pure sloppiness

the suspension upgrades you talk about might not be necessary. is it going to be an autocross car ? or more daily driver with emphasis on 1/4 mile ??? the 4 cyl front end is BETTER for drag racing.

the 8.8 will bolt right in, you need an AOD specific DS they are longer. an aod will work in a t5 car...but not the other way around ( or i said it backwards...lol)

if the current cooling system works...leave it, but add a trans cooler. AOD's are SUPER weak and heat will kill it quick. if it runs warm now...then yes go with a good 3 row or even stock replacement from "be cool" or another good brand

i know nothing of the harness issues with a converted car

the only other thing i can think of this....estimate what you'll have into it...then add more for what you overlooked or will break changing stuff out.

converted cars dont have the value of an original 5.0 car, but that doesnt mean too much.

just make sure you didnt spend what you could have just a 5.0 for to begin with

have fun with it....keep us posted
Wow, you just answered ALOT of my concerns, thank you very much!

I will ask though, what would you suggest in place of the AOD? I like 5-speeds, but I also like the thought of never missing a shift...so for this car I want to do automatic. Everything I've been told about AOD's has been that they're solid trannies and SOMETIMES overheat, but I did forget to ask about transmission cooling. Are there any cost efficient alternatives to the AOD? Or any kits that can really beef one up without butt-raping your wallet?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
sassyone73

Default no spark

i have a 2.3 liter with the dual coil cause it has 8 plugs but there is no spark and i tested the ignition module it is working fine but still no spark what could be wrong?