Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

listings? anti-billowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 AM
pilgrim6

Default listings? anti-billowing

I will admit my experience with tops is rather limited.
A few (well 15 ...) years ago I restored a '64 Falcon Sprint Convertible. I replaced the top. Bows #2 and #3 had a listing, or sleeve and a metal bar was inserted into this and it screwed to the bow. This prevented the top from billowing. IIRC, Ford advertising in that era, and during the first generation of Mustang included the benefit that the tops were of "non-billowing" construction.

I am now looking at replacing the top on a Fox body Mustang. I see no reference to listings in any ads. The top on the car is not secured to the 2nd and 3rd bows.

What happened? Did "non-billowing" tops just become a victim of cost cutting?
Is that feature on premium tops that is absent from other tops?
Am I just an old guy recalling "how it used to be"?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

On my 02, there is a strip of material attached to the frame and glued to the inside of the top material across the top, above the front seats. It can be seen when the top is half open and looking between the layers.

Mine has come loose so now I need to figure out how to reattach/glue it.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

I purchased a DVD on the installation process of a top for a 1994-2004. It was well worth the cost for the information on how tops are installed. It goes over step by step instructions on removal and replacement. Also included is information on webbing, cables, and listings, and how they are installed. I believe one is available for the Fox bodies. I haven't replaced mine yet as I am waiting for the weather to cool off here. I feel I have got my 25 dollars worth. Hope this helps-- Good luck.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM
pilgrim6

Don't let it cool off too much. Vinyl gets stiffer when cold, and is easier to pull when warm. (Cold and warm being relative terms). I don't like working in temps above 90 degrees, either.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Pilgrim,

All Fox body new convertible tops have listings at the 2nd and 3rd bows. I haven't installed one for a couple of years but never saw a new aftermarket top cover without the two listing sleeves.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 AM
pilgrim6

scan--that is good news. Maybe its just the top on my son's that omitted them--after all nearly everything the previous owner touched he ruined.
The good news is that I do not need to read all the fine print when that time comes. I can expect the listings to be there. I just started to tackle the driver's door--the glass was really loose. Well, no wonder, it completely missed the glass run channel at the front of the door--ran between the channel and the metal frame for the channel--and the piece at the rear of the door was torn completely--and the dew wipers were not securely installed--some with sheet metal screws, some not at all, clips missing/broken. Its amazing the glass was still intact.
One thing at a time.....