Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

My new 65 mustang project

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

Default My new 65 mustang project

Well I bought my baby not too long ago and it has it's problems but I still love it. The original 289 has been lost and a 302 is sitting in there. Mostly original interior except for steering wheel and my stereo is gone. No ac only factory heat is in there I don't think it works.

All my outside trim is gone including my grille ponie. I have one rim center and my original gas cap. I figured since the engine is gone this car will not reach a pure restoration soooo I might as well mod it and make it a fun daily driver.

Still has drum brakes an aftermarker power steering system bad shocks the original 14 inch wheel I believe. The color then and now is poppy red which is actually a darkish orange that really sticks out. I was thinking of changing it to a gaurdsman blue and keep a black/white interior. I have no idea what I'm going to do to it or where to start at all. I'm not a big spender but wont skimp on necesarry parts for my babby.

Any ideas for this classic stang project of mine?

sorry for the small pics I can't seem to figure out this whole picture thing on here.

Engine
dash
front interior
back interior
driver side
front
Rear
Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Blade660
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My new 65 mustang project

Sounds like you have afun project a head of you. One thing though, you might want to post this in the Classic Mustangs section. The guys in there really know their $h!t and can offer you alot of great advice. Good luck with your project!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Mustang_Ali
1st Gear Member

I agree, I would love to find one like that.. This may be a stupid question, but is there rust on the car? Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks to be in pretty good shape. The seats don't even look that bad, I could restore those to new in 2 hours. I've seen a lot worse
Old 05-27-2006, 03:45 AM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

It's had some rust in it but it's mostly been taken out. I mean some light surface rusting. both rear quarter pannels have a fair amount of bondo in them but the body has all been sanded back straight and you can't tell in the least. No rust in the trunk or floor boards in the least so it's a solid car. No the seats arn't bad at all and the engine/interior is going to be what I start on. It's all sun damage in there Arizona sun is harsh on paint and the inside of a car when you don't put a sunshade up. 125 in the summer and that's outside the car in the shade.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Mustang_Ali
1st Gear Member

[:-] 125? I can't even fathem it being that hot - living here in WI. Sounds like you found one hell of a diamond in the rough there. How did you come across the car?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

We have some magazines here that sell cars. Called auto trader well the same company has a few books. Cycle trader/rv trader and... Classic car and truck trader. Well I found the thing in there for about 10k and of course wasn't going to pay that. After negotiatons we ended up trading my bike for it. My bike was worth about 4k 2001 suz bandit 1200s with 17k miles on it. Easy as that.

Yeah the summers are killers here the winter will only drop to 30's sometimes 20's at night at the coldest I've never seen snow fall but I enjoy it. A/C is a must 8 months out of the year here. It's allready triple digits here.