Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Horrible results wih PC 7424

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Default Horrible results wih PC 7424

OK, my dad purchased a PC, the orange cutting pad, black, and white pads from Adamspolishes.com, as well as his Swirl and Haze Remover and the polish. Now, I clayed my Mustang after washing, then took the Orange pad with the Swirl remover and went to town. Tried it on Adams recommended speed which I think was like 4.5 or something and everything else up to 6. Swirls are scratches were NOT removed, especially in the sunlight you can still really tell. It just made the paint shiny and smooth. I am very pissed off because I went at it for like 8 hours.

IDK, but I believe I am doing it right. I either put a like a nice stream or a few drops of the remover on the car or pad, rub into pain before turning machine on, and very slowely let the machine work it in. I did this in like a 3x3, sometimes bigger or smaller section of the paint. I immediately wiped clean with microfiber. My dad then told me that "Adam" told him use both products at the same time and use the same process. Nothing. Scratch marks are still there, swirling still incredibly noticeable.

Help me out here guys. My car is white and I will try to get pics up later if I can.

Thanks,
---
Free
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

You want to make sure you are breaking down the polishes all of the way. With the PC it should take about 4-5 minutes to break a polish down with a 2x2 section. You also want to put about 15-20 lbs of pressure and go very slow. I would recommend using the polishes on speed 6, this is where you are going to get all of your correction.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVDsiEQ8-w
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

another thing you gotta realize it is a random orbital, you arent going to get the cutter power you would with a rotary where you can really cut into it.

granted with rotaries you run the risk of burning the paint but you can literally heat it up and move it around a bit to get rid of major scratches if you know what youre doing.

also the polishes & waxes have a lot to do with it as well. you may have actually been putting scratches back into it if they are cheap waxes.

anymore i use wolfgang and pinnacle and get awesome results that last forever and use the hell out of the 7424 i have. the waxes are a little more then meguairs but arent bad. $25-30 for a normal sized bottle of each
Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

No, its suppose to be super good stuff. I have al ot more questions. I am just going to fire away. SO, I need to put a lot more pressure than I originally did probably its sounds like? I first put some wax either on the pad, or the paint, does not matter, right? Next, put run the wax over the paint quickly on like 3 or 4 and THEN bump it to 6 and work very slowly? And wipe right off when finished? Also, should I do the entire car with the Scratch remover first and then switch my pad and move to the less agressive polish? Also, I do not have a liquid wax, I just have a can of yellow stuff that cost me like 30 bucks I think. Its the past stuff, kind of hard like clay or something. Will this work or should I invest in something better? Also, how should I wash my pads after usage?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I need to figure this out, as I am the worlds greatest perfectionist, literally.

Thanks for all the help guys,
---
Free
Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Yes, apply more pressure. The polishers are the only thing you need to bump up to speed 6. The waxes you only want to use 3-4. I would do the whole vehicle with the medium polish and the come back with the light polish.

If you are looking for an awesome paste wax, my Wet Obsession is awesome. There are a ton of members on here that can vouch for it.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

when polishing you need to do slow, overlapping passes with pressure. when waxing with the PC you don't need to put pressure, all you're doing is spreading it evenly.

it's all explained in the video i posted
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Very true on the Wet Obsession. I've only seen some of the best results possible from Justin's Wax.

As far as the PC 7424, it is probably the best Orbital Polisher/Buffer you can buy for the $$$. Apply more pressure, and use slower movements. Also, maybe try a different polish. I've heard great things about Justin's polishes. Send Juztang a PM and he will hook you up with some good stuff. Good luck. I hope it works out, and you can post up better results.

-Chris
Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Lakers1
2nd Gear Member

I've used the Adams line with the pc7424 and it came out great. i used the orange cutting pad at 6 with the swirl haze remover and their machine polish. Just use a little of each. Like others have said use some pressure and take your time. I followed with the white pad and used Justin's light polish. Then I used the grey pad with Justin's glaze followed by wet obsession applied by hand. it came out great.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Well I definitely know I will be ordering some of Justin's wax here soon. So this literally takes like 10 or more hours huh? It took me just shy of that, but that was with a couple hours if dinking around. I am going to try it the next nice weekend I am home. I hope I can show you guys some awesome results.