Florida Regional Chapter Chapter President: ShakenRoush05

HELP! Please Advise What 2 do 1st when car sitting outdoors in Florida, for 4 yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Mystang

Question HELP! Please Advise What 2 do 1st when car sitting outdoors in Florida, for 4 yrs?

Hi, I am finally able to get my car, its been in Florida for 4 yrs. without being started. Obviously, need a new battery (even though last one was brand new when I left) I was told to change the Gas, Oil and even the Serpentine belt to be safe. I don't know what else to do! I have no idea what condition the seals are in (nor which seals they are, lol). I don't know if it is safe to start car first, or change fluids 1st? I may take car on long trip if in good shape but fearful, any help would be appreciated, Car is Mustang GT, has 40,000 orig miles, no accidents, 35th Anniversary, I hear it holds 15 gals. of gas, Don't know how many miles it gets on highway or street) any info/ advise would be welcome.
PS. I was told NOT to start the car 1st because the gas and oil may ruin the engine if it has been sitting in there for 4 years. What about the transmission fluid and anti freeze?
What should I do first? Please Help! Thank you in Advance ;D
Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 AM
ShakenRoush05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mystang
Hi, I am finally able to get my car, its been in Florida for 4 yrs. without being started. Obviously, need a new battery (even though last one was brand new when I left) I was told to change the Gas, Oil and even the Serpentine belt to be safe. I don't know what else to do! I have no idea what condition the seals are in (nor which seals they are, lol). I don't know if it is safe to start car first, or change fluids 1st? I may take car on long trip if in good shape but fearful, any help would be appreciated, Car is Mustang GT, has 40,000 orig miles, no accidents, 35th Anniversary, I hear it holds 15 gals. of gas, Don't know how many miles it gets on highway or street) any info/ advise would be welcome.
PS. I was told NOT to start the car 1st because the gas and oil may ruin the engine if it has been sitting in there for 4 years. What about the transmission fluid and anti freeze?
What should I do first? Please Help! Thank you in Advance ;D
I strongly recommend that you have a mechanic start your car, change all fluids, filters belts and replace your tires before you put your stang back on the road! Definitely drain the gas and it would be a good idea to change the plugs, belts and injectors. After all is completed I think you may want to drive the car locally for a while before considering any long trips. Good Luck and let us know how its going.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Mystang

Hi There Shaken,
Thank You for you wonderful Advise...I Just have 1 problem. The Association does not allow individuals to work on cars while on Their Property. Do you think if I put Dry Gas in the Car I would be able to drive it a short distance to a gas station.... to add more Gas then....Drive straight to a mechanic, and have him change All The fluids & check out everything else? I have purchased tires from Him and he will install them. He is about 2 miles away.? How can I tell if the gas has gone bad? Does it look or smell different? I know crazy question. I will be sure there is Oil and Water/antifreeze in the car prior to starting, as well. Hmmm... So do you think the Dry Gas, will do temporarily?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 AM
ShakenRoush05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mystang
Hi There Shaken,
Thank You for you wonderful Advise...I Just have 1 problem. The Association does not allow individuals to work on cars while on Their Property. Do you think if I put Dry Gas in the Car I would be able to drive it a short distance to a gas station.... to add more Gas then....Drive straight to a mechanic, and have him change All The fluids & check out everything else? I have purchased tires from Him and he will install them. He is about 2 miles away.? How can I tell if the gas has gone bad? Does it look or smell different? I know crazy question. I will be sure there is Oil and Water/antifreeze in the car prior to starting, as well. Hmmm... So do you think the Dry Gas, will do temporarily?
The problem you have is a vehicle sitting for that long a period of time causes the cylinder walls to lack the pre-lubrication that it present when you are using your car on a regular basis. When a car sits for that long a period time the cylinder walls are dry which could causing damaging wear during start up. A mechanic should remove the spark plugs and squirt oil into the cylinders. The next step is cranking the engine (without spark so the car doesn't start) to lube the cylinder walls. Once everything else is completed that we discussed in our previous message, the car should be started. As far as diagnosing gas, can't say whether it is good or bad. Caution tells you to drain, refill all fluids prior to starting. If I were you I would ask the mechanic to tow your car in and have him get you going! Otherwise you may be playing roulette... Very expensive Roulette! Regards, Jeff

Last edited by ShakenRoush05; 06-11-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 AM
ShakenRoush05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShakenRoush05
The problem you have is a vehicle sitting for that long a period of time causes the cylinder walls to lack the pre-lubrication that it present when you are using your car on a regular basis. When a car sits for that long a period time the cylinder walls are dry which could causing damaging wear during start up. A mechanic should remove the spark plugs and squirt oil into the cylinders. The next step is cranking the engine (without spark so the car doesn't start) to lube the cylinder walls. Once everything else is completed that we discussed in our previous message, the car should be started. As far as diagnosing gas, can't say whether it is good or bad. Caution tells you to drain, refill all fluids prior to starting. If I were you I would ask the mechanic to tow your car in and have him get you going! Otherwise you may be playing roulette... Very expensive Roulette! Regards, Jeff

How did you make out????
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
racer44

def change all fluids
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
rydahog

have the mechanic flat bed your car to shop,,if he is doing the work he may cut you a deal on tow charges..follow above posts about fluid changes, tires, etc..let us know what happened..