Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

Off Topic Idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

No break up of OT...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
being nothing but spam? im not sure that you know what "spam" is...
Not trying to argue here but maybe spam is the wrong word, instead of spam I guess we could say being a lot more flaming than seriousness in threads (when expected).

For example this thread was at the top of OT's most recent posts, I clicked it:
The first two posts and they are flaming the OP:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/off-...ogs-drive.html
I didn't take the time to read the original post there, and maybe it isn't all to serious or anything but I mean it seems like there is so much flaming going on there.

I dont know about anyone else but I think it could be cleaned up a little bit... when I first joined these forums OT was nothing like it is now and that wasn't even a year ago.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
being nothing but spam? im not sure that you know what "spam" is...
I said most threads being nothing but spam, which I meant if someone tries to create a serious thread they end up being filled with complete and utter nonsense and as maxshuty said flaming and trolling. Obviously I didn't mean they email you a bunch of stuff you don't want. But the meaning is really the same. You don't want a bunch of junk emails, and you don't want a bunch of junk in a thread where you're looking for some help or opinions that might not fit in the other automotive related forum sections.

This was just a suggestion, but honestly I can't see how this would not be for the best overall. I think it would foster a larger, more loyal online community of people who would come here for more than car related questions and discussions. And all of the "Otards" could still have a section to "spam" up and act completely ridiculous, so it's not like they would be losing anything.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 AM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

OT seems to be a place where if you're not a regular you get completely flamed. i like the idea of splitting up OT into different sections, i don't see why it couldn't work
Old 06-08-2009, 01:28 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Stealth
I have seen some good threads that are able to carry out serious discussion, but it's rare and certainly not easy.
A big part of getting a 'serious discussion' is you have to have other members that share interest in the thread's content.

Having said that, look on the front page of OT. Would you think that most of those threads don't have any type of serious discussion (since it's rare and not easy)?

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I disagree. Sometimes you have an OFF TOPIC (aka irrelevant to the rest of the forum sections) question, idea, etc. that you want opinions on or want to know the answer to. Then when you post it within five minutes you have someone saying something dumb. Off topic section isn't about staying completely off topic on every thread that is started. It's about being off topic from the rest of the forums, and generally off topic should stay ON-TOPIC for the topics that the poster is being serious about.
Lately the OT isn't anything to go see because all you see is the same people posting things totally irrelevant to everything -- which to me is not the purpose of OT
I hope you weren't assuming that I was implying that OT means every post should be OT to the thread itself.

OT shouldn't get to the point where there should be a "serious" section made for it. You can look at OT as just the same people posting things totally irrelevant to everything and let those retards overshadow any decent, 'serious' conversation by members.

Originally Posted by Stealth
I said most threads being nothing but spam, which I meant if someone tries to create a serious thread they end up being filled with complete and utter nonsense and as maxshuty said flaming and trolling.
Is that how the front page in OT is?

Originally Posted by o7 tungsten
OT seems to be a place where if you're not a regular you get completely flamed. i like the idea of splitting up OT into different sections, i don't see why it couldn't work
How so?

Last edited by 99GTvert; 06-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

<<--- Yet to get flamed in OT and I don't go in there regularly.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
<<--- Yet to get flamed in OT and I don't go in there regularly.
That is why you have yet to get flamed in OT.

Everytime I make a post in OT people copy and paste the same posts a hundred times (spam), or I've just had rude comments (flaming) directed at me.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The copying other people's post crap is getting taken care of.

But none of the replies in your threads have been helpful?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I'm not saying none. But sometimes it takes a few pages worth of replies until someone decent comes in. I visit many forums, and most of them have an OT section and YES there is flaming/spam that can be expected in any forum anywhere, but most OT sections in forums aren't about being off topic literally which is what annoys me. It's the 'off-topic from the rest of the forums sections' is what its supposed to be.
I'm not saying that there is noone helpful in there when needed because there is, but it's the select few who troll there and ruin the purpose.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I'm not saying none. But sometimes it takes a few pages worth of replies until someone decent comes in. I visit many forums, and most of them have an OT section and YES there is flaming/spam that can be expected in any forum anywhere, but most OT sections in forums aren't about being off topic literally which is what annoys me. It's the 'off-topic from the rest of the forums sections' is what its supposed to be.
I'm not saying that there is noone helpful in there when needed because there is, but it's the select few who troll there and ruin the purpose.
Can't say I disagree, but as of recent, most of those douchebags have been warned, at least.