General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto's better right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:06 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto's better right?

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

manual will win..mustang auto's lose alot of power though

manaul ls1 vs auto ls1 is about even, but i'd still take manual any day of the week and twice on sunday
6 speed audi TT < Auto DSG Audi TT all depends on the company

and can someone please explain to me how they can get away without a torque convertor in that tranny.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Dan9687

You lose more power through the Automatic transmission, than you do with a manual
How can a Manual be more powerful than an auto when the auto would have a flash tuner like I previously stated? I say this becaus the tuner can allow you to adjust the auto's shift points therefor making it shift at high RPM's just like the manual. Please explain.

Well I ask because somone once told me and I agree, that the auto would be faster because no human can shift as fast as a auto transmission.
An auto has a torque converter, which is a fluid coupler, it causes more power to be lost as it is not as efficant as a clutch. Plus the gear ratios are different in the stick, generally they are a little steeper because there are more gears. I highlighted the part that is very untrue, you probably have never seen a good manual driver (and I mean really good, not just a kid who thinks they are good. In higher HP cars the auto is generally faster because the car will 60 foot better due to the converter making the car easier to hook up.
*EDIT* flash tuners do not do crap for an auto, they firm up shifts a bit and can move the shift points but thats it. The real performance comes whne you do a converter swap.
very good answer jd

mustangman i agree with you that it depends on the manufacturer of the auto trans that's the reason i mentioned the ls1 auto....i just never attempted to say why/how the auto is slower but jd cleared that up
Old 03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Dan9687
3rd Gear Member

So if you were to put a racing transmission(auto) would that clear up the power loss of an auto?
Old 03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
steedastang96
1st Gear Member

well from what ive seen, all my camaro buddies that had manuels converted and threw a stall in it, with high horspower its also easier to launch in a auto from what ive seen it is faster and it makes sense, freeway line is a diffrent story though, i prefer manuel because i like to shift and have a clutch so i purposly sacrifice my 1/4th time because i like to drive manuel
Old 03-10-2006, 12:39 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

if you have an auto thats been built for strictly racing it is hard to beat, driving the manual is just funner though.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
1992_5.0

yeah i love my manual in my 2.2l lmfao
Old 03-11-2006, 02:42 PM
1979ghia
1st Gear Member

oh ya and some people on the manuals like to keep it 2 the floor when they shift... It is faster but really hard on everything. but they are fun to drive... even if you dont do that
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 PM
alexr
★★★★★

ORIGINAL: 1992_5.0

yeah i love my manual in my 2.3l lmfao
there ya go.... unless its not a stang youre talking about
Old 03-11-2006, 04:46 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

You lose more power through the Automatic transmission, than you do with a manual... but the Auto never misses a shift and shifts consistantly every time. At closer to factory power, the manual will be better... At higher power (500+) the auto will do better more often than not because of its consistancy.
Edit: And the manual is just more fun. I wouldn't have an auto stang... ever.
That has nothing to do with it. The reason why high hp auto mustangs are fast is b/c the trannys are built. U put a s/c on 2 bone stock GTs (auto and manual) the manual will still be faster. *When you build the auto it will be faster.* Shift kit and Stalled auto will blow by a decently driven 5 speed any day.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Dan9687

You lose more power through the Automatic transmission, than you do with a manual
How can a Manual be more powerful than an auto when the auto would have a flash tuner like I previously stated? I say this becaus the tuner can allow you to adjust the auto's shift points therefor making it shift at high RPM's just like the manual. Please explain.

Well I ask because somone once told me and I agree, that the auto would be faster because no human can shift as fast as a auto transmission.
An auto has a torque converter, which is a fluid coupler, it causes more power to be lost as it is not as efficant as a clutch. Plus the gear ratios are different in the stick, generally they are a little steeper because there are more gears. I highlighted the part that is very untrue, you probably have never seen a good manual driver (and I mean really good, not just a kid who thinks they are good. In higher HP cars the auto is generally faster because the car will 60 foot better due to the converter making the car easier to hook up.
*EDIT* flash tuners do not do crap for an auto, they firm up shifts a bit and can move the shift points but thats it. The real performance comes whne you do a converter swap.
Not entirely true. With the tuner, you can also adjust the shift pressure. In effect, you get a shift kit without the mess. I have mine set at 80PSI, but can go as high as 120PSI.
I did say they firm up the shifts but a shift kit is not going to give you the gain that a good converter will.

Quick Reply: Auto's better right?