General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto's better right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Dan9687
3rd Gear Member

Default Auto's better right?

Correct me if Im wrong but for str8 away racing(no turns etc.) isnt a Automatic with flash tuner better than a manual?

For example same exact car..lets say stock 2000 GT stang but one was manual and the other Auto but with flash tuner. Who would win?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto's better right?

manual will win..mustang auto's lose alot of power though

manaul ls1 vs auto ls1 is about even, but i'd still take manual any day of the week and twice on sunday
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

You lose more power through the Automatic transmission, than you do with a manual... but the Auto never misses a shift and shifts consistantly every time. At closer to factory power, the manual will be better... At higher power (500+) the auto will do better more often than not because of its consistancy.

Edit: And the manual is just more fun. I wouldn't have an auto stang... ever.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Dan9687
3rd Gear Member

You lose more power through the Automatic transmission, than you do with a manual
How can a Manual be more powerful than an auto when the auto would have a flash tuner like I previously stated? I say this becaus the tuner can allow you to adjust the auto's shift points therefor making it shift at high RPM's just like the manual. Please explain.

Well I ask because somone once told me and I agree, that the auto would be faster because no human can shift as fast as a auto transmission.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:49 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan9687

You lose more power through the Automatic transmission, than you do with a manual
How can a Manual be more powerful than an auto when the auto would have a flash tuner like I previously stated? I say this becaus the tuner can allow you to adjust the auto's shift points therefor making it shift at high RPM's just like the manual. Please explain.

Well I ask because somone once told me and I agree, that the auto would be faster because no human can shift as fast as a auto transmission.
The engine itself has the same power output in both cars. But an auto trans robs more power in it's operation than does the manual trans
Old 03-09-2006, 09:01 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

An auto has a torque converter, which is a fluid coupler, it causes more power to be lost as it is not as efficant as a clutch. Plus the gear ratios are different in the stick, generally they are a little steeper because there are more gears. I highlighted the part that is very untrue, you probably have never seen a good manual driver (and I mean really good, not just a kid who thinks they are good. In higher HP cars the auto is generally faster because the car will 60 foot better due to the converter making the car easier to hook up.
*EDIT* flash tuners do not do crap for an auto, they firm up shifts a bit and can move the shift points but thats it. The real performance comes whne you do a converter swap.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
DarkShadowGT03
3rd Gear Member

Manuals are quicker, but you can't mess up on autos. Let go of brake, push gas until you reach finish line.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

An auto has a torque converter, which is a fluid coupler, it causes more power to be lost as it is not as efficant as a clutch. Plus the gear ratios are different in the stick, generally they are a little steeper because there are more gears. I highlighted the part that is very untrue, you probably have never seen a good manual driver (and I mean really good, not just a kid who thinks they are good. In higher HP cars the auto is generally faster because the car will 60 foot better due to the converter making the car easier to hook up.
*EDIT* flash tuners do not do crap for an auto, they firm up shifts a bit and can move the shift points but thats it. The real performance comes whne you do a converter swap.
Finally someone that knows what they are talking about... All these people believe into the internet hype...
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Not entirely true. With the tuner, you can also adjust the shift pressure. In effect, you get a shift kit without the mess. I have mine set at 80PSI, but can go as high as 120PSI.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:44 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

i love my tuner, it definatly kicked my car in the *** and told it to get goin

Quick Reply: Auto's better right?