General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EFI help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default EFI help fast!

Ok, Its not a mustang but I think you guys might be able to help.

The car is a 1989 Pontiac Grand Am with a TBI/CFI setup, and it runs EXTREMELY rich and pretty rough too. Ive spent a few hours trouble shooting, and I still cant find anything (yeah yeah im a crappy mechanic) Ive checked the MAP sensor, it tested fine, but I shotgunned it anyway, no change, so I can rule that out. I also did some investigating for vacuum leaks with a can of carb cleaner, nothing there. Its got spark on all 4 cylinders (btw) and I did a leakdown & compression test, and its all in speck, no burned valves or anything like that.

I *think* the problem might be the injector itself, because Im looking in the bowl when it is "running", and it doesnt look like a fine mist, as it should, it seems to "rain" in a small area of the stream. Heres what gets me... despite this, it still runs rich and rough, not lean like its not getting enough fuel which I would have thought. Is it possible there is high fuel pressure AND a clogged injector? I dont have a way to check fuel pressure, its an odd size line and the guage Im using doesnt have any adapter for it(and theres no schrader valve). I wouldnt think this is the case, as it hasnt seen much fuel... less than 55k on the odometer. What do you guys think? Im getting ready to just get a new injector for it, but If I install it and find that its not the problem, I just wasted a good, what, 80$? Of course, I dont have the special Injector testing tool GM says I need to use either. I checked the resistence of the injector, and it is in Spec with what Alldata is telling me.

What do you guys think? I need some opinions!

Thanks Alot!

Jim
Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: EFI help fast!

Well a dirty injector doesn't necessarily mean "less flow lean mix".. it might just mean it's causing a dirty puddling flow & not a fine clean mist like you said you saw..

how bout running a can of injector cleaner thru the thing before buying a new injector?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: EFI help fast!

I think I will, Ive got nothing to loose I suppose. I found a TSB from them saying not to run a cleaner, but at this point, I dont think it can hurt anything righ

Thanks

Jim