General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension question.. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension question.. Please help!

Boy oh boy.. Where do I start..

Ok, my brother and I spend the last 6 hours attempting to replace the springs on my 99 Cobra.. I got some lowering springs to give it a better look..

The front springs went on without any problem.. The back springs, well those are a different story..

For any of you who might have done this project please continue to read..

In order to remove the springs it appeares I have to use a spring compressor.. Therefore, I took my happy lil butt up to Autozone and rented one.. Problem is: when I hook on the top two hooks and attempt to place the lower piece (piece that gets tightened) on the spring the groves do not fit properly. The spring will set nicely in one grove but because the way the compresser is designed the spring is not the right size and will not fit in the other groove.

I put the car on jack stands and put a jack under the A-arm and jacked it up to load the spring.. I attempted to tighten the compressor w/o the spring setting in the grooves and let the jack down.. Well, lets just say I was VERY lucky not to be hurt or break anything.. The lower piece of the compressor slipped off the spring, my guess is because it wasn't sitting in both grooves, and dam near broke something..

My question to you folks is there anyway other then useing a spring compressor to remove and install the new springs on a 99 Corba, independent suspension? If not, what kind of luck have you had using spring compressors? Are there better ones out there that will fit various sizes of springs? Also, how safe is it to use these compressors? I know people have been modifying suspensions for years so can it be all that hard or am I just using a crap compressor?

I plan on returning this rented spring compressor to Autozone tomorrow and seeing if they have a better one.. If not I will check other locations for a better one.. It seens like Autozone and Advance Auto only rent them.. Anyone know of a large chain store where I'd be able to buy one if needed in Milwaukee, WI?

I did my best at making a picture of the groove problem I am having.. Please click on 'My Stang' below and look for the picture that looks like a 2 year old drew it..

Thanks for all the help anyone might offer and reading this hellya long topic.. Oh ya, I've been drinking my sorrows away so forgive my spellng and grammor.. I'm pretty upset that my car is tore apart in the garage right now =(