General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Springs different on convertible???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:31 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default Springs different on convertible???

so what is the truth about springs on hardtops and convertibles?

will it not fit if i put eibach lowering springs on my convertible that are meant for hardtops? or will it just be a different ride?

someone said they used BBK lowering springs meant for hardtops on their fox convertible and everything was fine.

please help i need to get new springs and its a pain having to search on ebay for convertible specific springs, not to mention i could be lied to if i buy used.

does this also mean stock springs from a hatchback wouldnt work on my convertible?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Springs different on convertible???

I'm not totally for sure on this issue, but I believe the spring rate is different for a convertable since your car is heavier. I've never heard of someone changing a conv. to hardtop springs, but you would think you could do it. I think your car will have a different ride though and maybe actually sit lower than springs made for your car. I would contact the manufacturer and ask them that question.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Ford Racing does sell a separate spring set for convertibles (C) versus coupes. I went with the Steeda sport springs but first asked them about the different set up with convertibles. They told me they only sell one type for both and not to worry. I have had them on for almost three years now without any problems at all. Handling is excellent. I do recommend if your pocket book can handle it to also change your struts and shocks at the same time to something like Tokicos. The suspension is apart anyway to change the springs so you don't really pay for much more labor. Oh ya, make sure you also buy some urethane spring isolators when installing new springs. The stock rubber ones wear out kinda quick. http://maximummotorsports.com/isolators.asp
Old 04-05-2006, 02:39 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

thats awsome , thanks..

ill be doing the work myself so its no big deal but tokikos are expensive .. i had blues on my t-bird.

i need shocks and struts anyway. the rear is sagging on one side. how much you pay for your motorsport springs and how much did they lower the car? any pics of your car with them??

also anyone had any trouble with using oem struts and shocks while lowered?

i can get KYB's for $50 pair for rear and $100 pair front... i just wanna know if theres a noticable difference in handling/ comfort
Old 04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I have KYB quads on my car. They also make a good shock. Tokicos may be a bit stiffer overall but KYB's should still be better than OEM stock. I have the blue Tokicos on my '98 vert with the permanent sport handling setting and like them. I do think the Tokicos can handle lowering a bit better than most. It is the shock they install on many modified Mustangs. Doesn't really matter too much if you go no lower than 1 1/2" from stock. My Steeda springs lowered me about 1 1/4" front and maybe 3/4" to 1" rear. Nice rake to the car. Don't need CC plates or bumpsteer if you keep it to that level. Lower than 1 1/2" and you have to start modifying much more of your front suspension.

Good luck with your ride!