General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

need help with my tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default need help with my tranny...

First, my car is a 99GT, just got it and love it so far. I picked up a tri-ax shifter the other day and tried to install it. I got as far as taking everything but the stock shifter out. I couldn't get a socket on the back two of the four bolts that hold the shifter to the tranny. The bolt heads are only exposed about half way, its like every thing is positioned too far back. It looks like i'd have to cut or drill out part of the car to expose the rest of the bolts, which im not about to do. Or drop the tranny, which I also dont want to do, and dont have the tools, time etc. for. I might be able to get a wrench in there, but it looks tight, and I dont know how long the bolts are. I imagine they're too long to take out without the heads being completely exposed. I dont want to start unscrewing the bolts and then have to screw them back in cause they're too long. This may be kind of confusing, hopefully someone will know what I am talking about. One other question....at low rmps, in first and second gear, around 800-1500 or so, sometimes when im moving slowly i get a grinding sound. Its not between shifts, its while the car is in gear and moving. Any idea as to what the problem is, if it is a problem? It seems to be fine otherwise. Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: need help with my tranny...

As far as installing the shifter goes, I dont know if you can take those bolts out without cutting the sheet metal or droppin the tranny. I know what your talking about though. I just took some tin snips and cut it just enough to reveal the bolts. And the grinding noise your talkin about, Ive had 2 99 GT's and they both made that noise your talking about. I changed the rearend dope in both of them and it still made that noise. I think it might be normal but I would change the dope just to be sure. And be sure to look for any metal in the old dope. My 98 also makes this same sound.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the response, dont wanna sound stupid, but wtf is the rearend dope? thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 10:09 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Its the oil that goes in the rearend. When and if you change it make sure you get the positive traction additive. Dont remember exactly what its called but just ask someone wherever you plan on purchasing it from and theyll know what your talking about.