General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:00 PM
impulseballer
1st Gear Member

Default Power shifting

Ok i just got my car last saturday and I haven't really gotten on the car that hard yet. I was wondering if anyone has some points or advice on power shifting. I need to know wat two points the sincros are lined up. The high and the low point so I can power shift through the gears. Or do you think powershifting by leaving the gas down is better than not using clutch. Is this going to cause alot of tear on the engine even if it's done right?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Power shifting

Power shifting a T5 is simply stabbing the clutch, shifting quickly, & keeping the gas pedal glued to the floor. I come close, but i do not have the :ahem:, "Pair" for it. I lift lightly on the gas... Me personally trying to match the gear: I found that on decelleration I still cannot get it to go into gear. Dropping rpm & then lightly accelerating I can slip it in without using the clutch.....
Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Unless your going to do it on the track for the best possible time I don't suggest you do it.. Your only gonna pick up a couple tenths of a second and run the chance of tearing up your tranny.. Just my opinion though..
Old 04-17-2006, 05:00 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mt Twigbert

Unless your going to do it on the track for the best possible time I don't suggest you do it.. Your only gonna pick up a couple tenths of a second and run the chance of tearing up your tranny.. Just my opinion though..
No.... that is good advise I forgot to mention. I'm so used to breaking my T5's that I just don't think anything about it anymore...
It's gotta be that "you gotta pay to play" mentality of mine or something....
Old 04-17-2006, 05:16 PM
impulseballer
1st Gear Member

very good advice indeed. I'll just stick with shifting fast lol. Dont feel like loosing my tranny anytime soon. I can chirp gears already and shift pretty good but my buddy was telling me power shifting can make you a little faster. That tength a second crap dont matter to me. Car lengths do.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:57 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

a tenth of a second might be a carlegnth or 2 depending on how fast your going

but still, always use the clutch, especially with racing. I don't powershift because i have a WOT switch for my nitrous, and i need it to deactivate when shifting. Now that i think about it, if i shifted harder i could probobly drop my time. I always granny shift, even when im at the track. Just a habbit.