General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any one herd of "fix-a-flat" ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Any one herd of "fix-a-flat" ?

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

some tire places will absolutely refuse to repair a tire if you use that crap to fill up the holes because they won't be able to tell if the tire is safely plugged or not. at least that's what they say, maybe it's just to get you to buy a new tire.
at $160 a tire and special order to boot, you bet they would rather have me buy a new one.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

The stuff works, but only on tiny air leaks. And it's only meant to get you "on your feet" so you can get to the nearest gas station. You aren't supposed to drive for a long time with the stuff in your tire.

Get a tire with a rip in it and you're SOL. So, it's great & handy, but I wouldn't be too quick to toss the spare tire away and ONLY have that fix-a-flat can in the car...
+1!!

I've used it before on my stang and it worked wonders. I had a small leak in a tire and used it until the next day when I could get to the shop and have the tire plugged up or patched or whatever its called...

It's good to have in the car for sure.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 AM
gibb_erish

I know someone who fixes tires as well, and he said the same thing you said. He recommended the following equipment to keep in the trunk if a spare is not available.

Tire Plug Kit (I prefer the T-handle design.)
Portable Compressor (May take a little while, but what's one more cigarette while your stuck on the side of the road.)

Remove nail, tack, bailing wire, ect. from tire. Push the awl that comes with the set in and out of the hole a few times to make the surface of the hole more rigid. The whole time you are doing this air may or may not be escaping rapidly from the tire, so work fast to reduce air pump time. Thread a plug through the eyeloop tool and push all the way into tire. Pull eyeloop tool out about 1/8 ' or just a little more from the tip of the tool to the tire. The plug will still be threaded. Trim with a utility knife or other cutting tool. Inflate and take your tire to a shop for a better fix.

This may take a little more work and get your hands dirty, but I definitly prefer this method over fix a flat in a can.