General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Driveline inertia

Old 04-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default Driveline inertia

Anyone else seen this article in this months Modified Mustangs mag? i found it very informitive and have since changed my rim and clutch size wishes.

broken down it says go smaller and lighter. aluminum driveshafts may be bigger, but they still work better due to being lighter and smaller rims will do the same because they are smaller AND lighter. take a smaller clutch/flywheel cause it will take less to get them moving, same with the d/s and the wheels. i feel special now that i couldn't figure that out on my own!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Driveline inertia

I haven't seen the new issue; but I'll now be interested in getting it..... The topic of inertia has been covered by several mag articles in the past; but it's always worth a look to see if there is any "new" info....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Sounds the same as everyone has been saying for years...

However, for clutch/flywheel choice, it kinda depends what you're looking to use the car for. A smaller clutch can't hold as much power as a larger clutch, and if you're looking for a streetable car, and your car also has an aftermarket cam in it, an ultra-lightweight flywheel may not be what you're looking for, due to the reduced inertia it has. It may result in stalling issues

As for wheels, sometimes larger wheels are needed to clear bigger brakes, especially these days with 13" brakes becoming almost standard. It also allows you to use a tire with a smaller sidewall, increasing the feel of the car and handling characteristics.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

yeah, good points with the brakes and tires. i just found it rather informitive. and if you really get down to it, you build a powerful enough car you really don't have to worry too much about it. just a split sec of lag before you get to shred some ***!

also, case in point for the brakes, the dodge viper. fast as hell, but can't stop worth a ****. anyone seen the clip from high octane usa where theres a ferrari 355 and a viper racing in cali on "dead mans road" and the viper comes up on the corner too fast, locks up the wheels and flys off the edge of the cliff?! its awesome, but kinda sad in a way, the car does 0 to dirty in 4.5 seconds!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:13 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

I've seen that vid, and I have to say I'm seriously suprised that he lost it on that corner. I'm so glad for my 05 v6 having great stock breaks, I've got the handling package and even with stock tires I've breaked down from 180 and thrown it into corners with easy (just waiting for someone with ***** (and driving skill) to race me).