General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Hammy

Default Cam sensor

I have my 1998 Mustang (V6) in for repairs. The initial concern was that a belt or pulley in the fan belt area was bad because the car makes a "chirping" sound (like I got a bunch of caged tweetie birds in the engine) when I start her up; ocassionally the sound continues though the car is warmed up and on the road. The mechanic called back and said he believes it is a cam sensor. What the heck is a cam sensor and how does that make a chirping sound?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Cam sensor

is he looking at the right diagnostic sheet? Cam sensor doesn't even move, heck it doesn't even touch the cam (it uses mangetic induction to work).... I think you need a second opinion.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

You are about to get screwed.This sounds like the classic belt tensioner chirp.The bearings dry out and fail in the idler pulley and make the sound you describe.Take the car somewhere else or better still,fix it yourself.I would think you could get the part from an auto parts store for less than $50.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:51 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Get your car away from that shop now! Your car will not run if the cam sensor is bad. All it does is tell the computer the position of the cam. If the computer does not know where the cam is it won't start. Like chopper said it is just your belt tensioner.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

You are about to get screwed.This sounds like the classic belt tensioner chirp.The bearings dry out and fail in the idler pulley and make the sound you describe.Take the car somewhere else or better still,fix it yourself.I would think you could get the part from an auto parts store for less than $50.

+1
Old 04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Hi Hammy.
I doen't mean to rub against the grain here, but I disagree with everyone so far. I have had this problem before (in a v-6). I lost power, when I accelerated, I would get a funny chirping sound, and it progressively got worse. Hooked up the OBD and it said many things, including: Cam sensor, crank sensor, and Mass Airflow Sensor. Since the cam and crank sensors were only around 15-20 each, I replaced them, cleared the OBD and presto - completely back to normal. It was a quick and cheap repair.
I am told that the sensors can go bad slowly, ie not just quit completely (which was my case). It also affected the input to the Mass Air sensor - but the cam and crank sensors fixed the problem and fed the MAS correct info so now it reads correctly.
Yes, Chopper could be right with the belt tensioner theory. If the car runs fine (good power) but you get the chirp, sounds like the belt! If not, go to Autozone and spend $20 and take 5 mins to change it yourself! Autozone.com will give you a how-to with pics!
Good luck.
Troy
PS. Sorry guys! LOL
Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

if the syncro is slightly bent and is actually contacting the sensor it will make that type of noise... those buggeres ain't cheap either... more than likely you're going to have to replace the syncro and sensor... syncro is around $150 and I don't remember how much the sensor is but it's cheaper than $50 I believe...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

That's OK to disagree with us. But your situation is IMO a coincidence. There are NO moving parts in a Cam Sensor therefore it can not make a noise. It is nothing but a magnet that senses a protrusion on the cam. And the crank sensor has a timing gear with little teeth with one missing tooth that is how the ECM knows the position of the crank
Old 04-28-2006, 01:12 AM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Now that, BraMas, I do agree with!
There are def no moving parts, but the cam/crank sensor will send the wrong signal to the ECU regarding the cam/crank position - hence the noise. Talk to a FORD mech, and they will actually tell you about this, which is how I actually found it!
Thanks for not bashing too hard gentlepeople!
Troy
Of course this is all bunk if the car operates normally, but just has a squeaky noise!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Ok I will have to give up on this one. I think Krusher is a Ford tech so if he says it can make a noise I will have to give up. Just doesn't make sense to me[sm=headbang.gif]