General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at buying a 94 Stang - Suggestions/comments/warnings/anything appreciated!! But quickly! :D

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Default Looking at buying a 94 Stang - Suggestions/comments/warnings/anything appreciated!! But quickly! :D

I'm located in Ontario, Canada, and i'm looking at a 1994 V6 Mustang. I'm a student and can't afford the v8's gas consumption, or the insurance, so this v6 is really attractive to me. It was stored for 5 years, and has been stored for every winter ... it only has 94,000 KILOMETERS on it (58,500 or so MILES). Unfortunately it's about 2 1/2 hours away from me, and I'm driving to see it tomorrow. Before I do, I'd like anyone on here to help me out with issues with these cars, things to look for when I see/drive it, and so on ... any help would be greatly suggested. I'm also curious about gas milage (distance to a tank) and how the body stands up to weather and so on (I'm going to be winter driving it).
I was also a little curious about something he told me on the phone .. he's the 2nd owner of the car and when he purchased it 3 years ago he was told it came from the factory with headers and dual exhaust ... I didn't think the v6's came factory with those. What different v6 models were available (in Canada) and with what options? I googled it, but didn't find much besides the differences between bases, gt's, cobras, etc ...

THanks again everyone. HOpefully there are some speedy responses since I'm leaving tomorrow mornging to see this car.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at buying a 94 Stang - Suggestions/comments/warnings/anything appreciated!! But quickly! :D

They are pretty good cars. I have 2 friends that drive V6 mustangs, and they hold up pretty good. They've never had any major engine problems. I think the 1 had to replace the thrermostat, and thats about it, and he's drove it about 30,000 miles now. He put some snow tires on the back, and it wasnt all too bad. Not the greatest because rear wheel drive, but still not bad.
About modding it........I know the GT's computer of those years dont take to mods very well, i'd assume that it would be the same with a v6, not positive tho.
I would for sure check for all signs of a collision. Check to see if some panels seem to be brighter or duller than others. Also check the gap between the hood and the fenders, make sure they are the same, or really really close to the same. Go drive it for about a half hour. See how fast it warms up, or how warm it gets. Check for leaks of any sort too. Check out the oil, and coolant. Make sure there isnt any oil in the coolant, and make sure the coolant doesnt smell like ****. If its auto, check the tranny fluid, also give that a smell test. If it smells like an electric fire, thats bad news.
I think on average they get around 25 Miles per gallon. Not too sure if i'm leaving some stuff out, i'm sure some other guys will fill you in on some stuff too.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at buying a 94 Stang - Suggestions/comments/warnings/anything appreciated!! But quickly! :D

Thanks a bunch so far! Keep the info comin' !!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I would agree, check it out thoroughly. Have the owner write down everything that is not stock on it. Ask for a maintanence log or journal(I keep one right down to when I fill up). The V6s did not come w/ dual exhaust so he is Sh*tting you on that. Those cars are not bad if you are looking for a sporty car w/ good milage. Take car of it and it will take car of you. It is not great in the snow but I drive my GT during the winter as well. The sixers were only one wheel drive so they are 'fun' to drive is the drive wheel gets into the snow. Look it over good for leaks or any blemishes. Also listen to the engine. If you are not a car guy, you will prob. not know what to listen for but any loud squeaks or noises are bad. Check ALL of the fluids, oil, coolant, wiper fluid, etc. Check the tires for excessive wear. If I were you, I would try to get a car friend to come w/ you to help you out. You may even want to take pics and post them for us to look at. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Again, thanks so far. I wouldn't call myself a 'car guy', but i do have experience with my current POS that I've owned and maintained/fixed myself for the past 3 years ... things like breaks, oil changes, alternator, rad, t-stat...I've done myself with my car. I have a general idea of what to listen for with engine sounds. I'm really confused about this whole dual exhaust and header thing though ... why would he BS about aftermarket upgrades? lol The guy who's selling it hasn't done any of the work - the car was worked on by the previous owner (from new, to 3 years ago) and the seller is just telling me what he was told when he bought the car 3 years ago, which was that the car came from the factory with the dual exhaust and headers ... doesn't make much sense to me either ... I'll have to ask him lots about it tomorrow I guess. Maybe he doesn't know the difference between a header and a manifold. lol In which case, the car isn't so appealing anymore. hahaha
I didn't ask the guy, but maybe you guys would know ... could this car have leather? Or do the v6's not have that option? My last concern is that I think the car is fairly overpriced ... it does have some aftermarket work done with the body (lowering, and a skirting kit on the front and rockers), and it also has very low milage ... but the guy's asking 7,000 CAD (6,300 USD) for it .... seems a lot for a v6 model, doesn't it?
Anyway, here's his autotrader picture ... that's all I have right now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36953/C0C20CCADE3B4B9B9C6B670263875129.jpg[/IMG]