General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:37 PM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

Default RE: diesel

I figured that it would be a ford when it came down to it just trying to throw some info out there.

If you look at Super Duty's as opposed to the 1997 body style make sure to check wheel bearings. Just about everyone I know with an early SuperDuty has put them in at least once if not more.

One good thing about early superduty's is you can change the front grill/bumper and such to make it look like the brand new ones.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

i just want something i can throw big *** tires on and haul my 66 with. maybe even a winch and a set of bull bars. i just need a friggin truck man!!!!!!

oh, and if i was to haul my stang with a dodge, i wouldn't hear the end of it!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:03 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I pretty much agree with what the guys have said. We tow a 24 foot enclosed with a turbo 99 powerstroke F350 dually. It tows great, milage is not bad (about 12 highway with the trailer,14 without). As far as troubles we have had, the only things that come to mind are a worn ball joint and a clutch hydrolic problem, but this truck has over 150k on it and runs like new, the troubles have been very minor IMO.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MSU_Aaron

I know this is a ford site but if your buying a diesel you should really consider a cummins. I've had a cummins and a PSD. My cummins was 4wd 3500 and got 21mpg as a driver and 16 towing my jeep.

The PSD was a 99 7.3 and the best i got unloaded was 14.

Higher costs are stuff like oil changes, and PSD are bad about crank sensors going out $100.
cummins is a great engine, just surrounded by ****
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 PM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

I won't argue that much. The biggest problem is auto trans but they are sh*t behind a turned up PSD too.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:04 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

I won't argue that much. The biggest problem is auto trans but they are sh*t behind a turned up PSD too.
Cummins is great but the only to thank for dodges existance is ex ford man Lee Ioccoa, dodge was done and gone until he showed up. Regardless, rumors are always swirling about cummins and ford and whats interesting is that supposedly dodge was allowed to keep cummins if they didnt make a super cab, well all these years they didnt make that cab and low and behold no they have one. With the checkered past of the 6.0 PSD and the quick change to a twin turbo 6.4 (rumored) I wouldnt be surprised if you see cummins inching oh so close to ford in the near future
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 AM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter.com

Cummins is great but the only to thank for dodges existance is ex ford man Lee Ioccoa, dodge was done and gone until he showed up. Regardless, rumors are always swirling about cummins and ford and whats interesting is that supposedly dodge was allowed to keep cummins if they didnt make a super cab, well all these years they didnt make that cab and low and behold no they have one. With the checkered past of the 6.0 PSD and the quick change to a twin turbo 6.4 (rumored) I wouldnt be surprised if you see cummins inching oh so close to ford in the near future

What really saved dodge/chrysler was the influx of capital created when Diamler Benz bought them out. I agree I do think we'll see a cummins in ford trucks in when the current contract runs out. Since as most know ford owns Cummins.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: myshifter.com

What really saved dodge/chrysler was the influx of capital created when Diamler Benz bought them out. I agree I do think we'll see a cummins in ford trucks in when the current contract runs out. Since as most know ford owns Cummins.
I dont know how old you are but dodge was DONE in the mid 80's, wayyyyy before benz. Ioccoa left ford and went to dodge and brought his newest concept the "minivan" thats what saved dodge
Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 AM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Crash

i just want something i can throw big *** tires on and haul my 66 with. maybe even a winch and a set of bull bars. i just need a friggin truck man!!!!!!

oh, and if i was to haul my stang with a dodge, i wouldn't hear the end of it!!!
Simple, a Cummins swapped F350

Honestly, I think Ford build the best trucks, but the Cummins is the best engine. Too bad DC signed that stupid contract with Cummins so no one else can get it. Cummins have gone as high as 200 psi (not typo) on stock bottom end; 70 - 80 psi is a piece of cake and 100 psi is still quite normal in racing applications.

Anyone seen that Cummins swqapped F350 dusting an RX7 at the strip?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OICW

ORIGINAL: Crash

Simple, a Cummins swapped F350

Honestly, I think Ford build the best trucks, but the Cummins is the best engine. Too bad DC signed that stupid contract with Cummins so no one else can get it. Cummins have gone as high as 200 psi (not typo) on stock bottom end; 70 - 80 psi is a piece of cake and 100 psi is still quite normal in racing applications.

Anyone seen that Cummins swqapped F350 dusting an RX7 at the strip?
that sounds like a great plan. lemme buy a recked cummins truck and a ford body with a blown motor and we're in business!