General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sputtering after midpipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default sputtering after midpipe replacement

put my old mipipe back in, its a catted h, and now the stang drives like ***. when its cold it drives fine but when it warms up it sucks. its not a vacuum leak ive determined, and everything else checks out. so im thinking its something with the midpipe cause it was running fine before i swapped it out. guess im gonna have to cancel the dyno tune saturday cause i wont make it there running like this. so could the midpipe be the problem? oh also there is a small leak before the o2 sensors, im thinking that may be it. any imput is appreciated. thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: sputtering after midpipe replacement

I'm really sorry for getting off the topic here, but do you have a larger picture of your car (the pic in your avatar)?? For some strange reason, I really like the color orange on Stangs

It sounds like the O2 sensor may be part of the problem. You say it runs like ***, can you be more descriptive? I've replaced my midpipe twice and I haven't had any problems with it in warm or cold weather. It may be something as simple as the O2 sensor and needing a tune.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

well its similar to a problem with a tune i had a while back, the 90mm maf i have might be bad, but i doubt it seeing how it was running fine before the midpipe install. heres whats happening. ill start it up, let it run a while then give it some gas and the rpms will drop close to stalling. its not the iac in anyway, already took care of that. when driving, it will drive normal, then start choking and sputtering like a fuel related issue. the air/fuel is reading optimal, but i suppose the o2 sensors could be causing trouble, they are both new though. heres that pic, thanks orange does kick ***.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

an air leak in an exhaust with O2 sensors can scew the signal to the computer(pcm). The signal from the o2s is one of the most importaint values used to calculate fuel dilivery. If too much air is entering the exhaust the pcm thinks the car is running lean and will add too much fuel to try and compensate for this. Im not sure what section of pipe you are talking about but if it has catalytic converters on it they may be shot. The o2 sensors BEFORE the cats should read from .1 to 1volt and should flutuate in this range up and down from .1 to 1 to .1 to 1 and so on. if it stays around a certain value then something is not right. The sensors after the cats should always read a certain range (ususlly around .7v) It gets a bit involved trying to diagnose this without a scanner. o2 sensors and cats are not cheep so i recomend a proper diagnosis first. The dealership is my recomendation on this one.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

i took care of the leak, it was before the cats at the header to midpipe flange. the only other leak is towards the catback and it is negligeable. the cats may be shot, the exhaust was wrapped up in plastic and left behind my shed for winter. in fact they heat up pretty good and make a buzzing sound when the car is off. i suppose i should try the o/r h pipe again, might be able to get it done in time for the dyno.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:44 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turt
an air leak in an exhaust with O2 sensors can scew the signal to the computer(pcm). The signal from the o2s is one of the most importaint values used to calculate fuel dilivery. If too much air is entering the exhaust the pcm thinks the car is running lean and will add too much fuel to try and compensate for this. Im not sure what section of pipe you are talking about but if it has catalytic converters on it they may be shot. The o2 sensors BEFORE the cats should read from .1 to 1volt and should flutuate in this range up and down from .1 to 1 to .1 to 1 and so on. if it stays around a certain value then something is not right. The sensors after the cats should always read a certain range (ususlly around .7v) It gets a bit involved trying to diagnose this without a scanner. o2 sensors and cats are not cheep so i recomend a proper diagnosis first. The dealership is my recomendation on this one.
Good info. I learned a lot from reading that post myself

Btw, I have the same clear-corner setup on my Stang. Nice choice, and nice car color!