General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Front Wheel bearing replacement - any help/suggestions before I get to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Default Front Wheel bearing replacement - any help/suggestions before I get to it?

First off - yes I bought the car. Why I was unsure can be read about HERE, but be prepared to read a lot if you want the story. lol. There isn't a thing wrong with the car besides this wheel bearing .. I had a mechanic check it out for me, he drove it, hoisted it, etc ... said the car's in great shape .. just needed the wheel bearing and I'd be golden. So, I bought it (this afternoon).
Anyway, I got the bearing from NAPA for $80 (CAD) and I want to do the job myself if it's not too difficlut. I did lots of work with my old car, but that was just a 4-banger import P.O.S. I bought a Haynze (I know, it's no Helm's ... but it'll help at least) and it makes it sound pretty simple to change the bearing. I just wanted to check with those of you who have done it, see what tips and tricks you have and make sure that special tools aren't needed and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated because the Haynze is VERY brief and lacks detail.
Like I said in the title, it's a front bearing. I'm not positive which one it is, but I think it's the passenger side because the sound goes away when you're on a right hand bank/turn ... is that right? Or do I have it backwards?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:10 AM
CarlessAndy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Front Wheel bearing replacement - any help/suggestions before I get to it?

I'm not sure about telling which one it is, i always get that mixed up too.

As for putting the new bearing on it should take no more than 2 hours and probably less.

Just unbolt the wheel, brake caliper and im not sure about yours but there is a special not holding the bearing on but other than that its straight forward job to do.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Front Wheel bearing replacement - any help/suggestions before I get to it?

Make shure You use the right Grease.Did you get a new race and grease seal for the bearing?Make shure You clean the hub well and don't over tighten.As for what grease I allways used the red high temp. grease. And I always did the bearings in pairs right and left.Check the spindle for wear also and put on a new cotter pin.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Thanks so far. As for the grease - where am I using this? I bought the whole assembly and was under the impression that grease and seals weren't an issue for install ... ?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Black_sunshine
2nd Gear Member

You did not mention the year of your stang.I asumed it was an older
Old 05-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black_sunshine

You did not mention the year of your stang.I asumed it was an older
Whoops, Sorry about that!! lol I'm still too excited about my purchase. lol It's a 97.