General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Guys, NOT GOOD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default Guys, NOT GOOD

Okay, here's what happened last sunday.
I was washing my car at work and got it all clean and junk. I pulled around to the cloth machine thing so I could buy one and clean my rims all sparkly shiney. I then pull back around to the side alley so I can speed down it a little bit to get the water out from behind my taillights like I usually do.
Except this time when I was doing it I guess the wheels were still wet...
The alley is only about 10' wide and I was in the middlish.
I give it 1/2-3/4 throttle and the back end whips out making me go into a 45ยบ angle.
I graze the wall....
After being horridly pissed for a day or so(not being able to even speak to anything without me just wanting to beat the **** out of them)
I assess the damages. Drivers side is scraped in a couple places, starting from the front(all damage on driver side):
Bumper has a sliver of the plastic part like broken all around it making it look like an upside down V sorta.
Top of the corner light thing(very top left[as in driver side]front of car)is bent a little
White scrapes on the drivers front fender and molding.
Little paint chipped from edge of front fender.
Mirror got a little scrape.
Rear fender is sunken in a bit(so when i go down a hill it rubs on the outside of my rear tire)
Rear fender is scraped much like the front with paint chipped on the outer edge.
Some molding is scraped with white
Front and Rear Rims are slightly scraped on the very outside where the tire meets rim.
It doesnt look as bad as it sounds. You can only really notice the corner light of course.
It looks like a very easy fix. The rear fender looks like it can be bumped back out(its just sunken no like crunched crap or anything)
Anyways I went to an auto body and got what they thought. They wanted to replace like everything that got hit. Which would cost about 3.7k.
I was kinda shocked in how much it was going to cost, because I was going to pay out of my own pocket(didnt think it woulda been more than 2k).
So I go to the insurance company after a couple estimates being the same.
And they say theyll send a guy down on friday to get their estimate. Now here's what happend today:

Insurance guy came down today, to do THEIR estimate on my car.
He was talkin about how the other estimate was pretty accurate. And was saying pretty much what the people at the auto body were saying. Going to have to replace the bumper, fenders etc.
Well he also asked if I wanted to total it...
I said no of course but he kept saying we might have to total the car.
Repairs will cost about 4.2k, and if he can't find the fenders n junk cheaper then what the new ones cost, thats most likely whats going to happen.
Seriously not cool...
He was saying the Body was Average. Average my ***, before that happened I only had like two tiny dings because of ******** in parking lots.
The rest of the body is near flawless. Average for that year is a little rust on the fenders, sagging doors and well you guys know .
He said the interior was average as well. I don't see one problem with it other than its not vaccuumed.
I didn't tell him what I have done to the car incase he turns around and says oh? You're not covered then. Or something stupid to get them out of paying up.
He asked to pop the hood, so I did. He saw the only things done to it visibly was the CAI,Pulleys and Dist.
So he rated that Above Average, because it was also clean.

I didn't tell him it had nitrous, or gears, or full exhaust done to it. Eibachs springs sticker is on the side so that was probably a give away, though he didnt say anything about that.

Didn't say anything about the cam, or my shifter.
Should I?

I also didn't tell them about what's behind the garage door waiting to replace parts on my car.
He's going to call back later today with their decision...

I don't see how totalling it would be considered... it runs flawlessly. Looks in very very good shape when clean.

And Black on Black is rare so I've heard for my year(black exterior/interior)

Sorry for the Long Post but My Baby is at Stake, please give help
Old 04-30-2004, 02:46 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Guys, NOT GOOD

dunno got some pics so we can see the damage?? its hard to tell..seem like it should be alot cheaper to fix them 3700.00 you got a dig cam??
Old 04-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

No digi cam
and my friend with the cam is at work
Old 04-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

I just went through the same thing. I have too many mods to list, but they look right past that. The damages exceeded the value of the car so they gave me two options. Pay me for the total loss and they keep the car, or I pay them $900 plus deductable from the pay out, and I get to keep my car. I figured I can sell it, part it out, or keep it, I don't know? Welcome to the world of insurance estimate people?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Wtf?
you had to pay your deductible PLUS 900 bux so you could keep YOUR car?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:25 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

the 900 is what the salvage price of the car is, ive been there too i think it is best to pay the extra to insure all of the mods on a car i.e sterio, engine, rims and anything else spendy all good insurance companies offer this service and it is worth it but need to keep all reciets, if you customise a fox body stang unless you pay extra when it get totaled expect 4000.00 and less.
ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

Wtf?
you had to pay your deductible PLUS 900 bux so you could keep YOUR car?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

what happens if u dont pay and keep your car?
cuz seriously thats BS
i own the title
i paid for it

what gives them the right to sell my car to me?

And what can you guys give me for tips on keeping my car and having them shell out cash to get it fixed?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

I think you are confused. the 900 plus whatever your deductable is comes out of the total loss pay off. So say they pay you 4500 for the loss, 900+100 (or what ever your deductable is) = 1000. 4500 less the 1000, so you end up with 3500 and you get to keep your car.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:40 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

There are 3 industries that rule the financial world. Oil companies, banks, and insurance companies. Unfortunately insurance companies have you by the ***** 24/7, regardless of the situation. Their first priority is their own well-being, not yours, believe me. Essentially they are greedy ********. The estimate you got is about right, because they make more money by replacing whole panels and doing a complete paint job than doing spot repairs. I don't know where you live, but if you lived around here, I could offer to fix it for probably $1,000 or less. Honestly, the panels could be bumped out and filled, and materials including paint would cost maybe $300 if even that for a partial paint job, or $500 for a complete. Unfortunately that's not how insurance companies operate. They have the kind of leverage to jack you around all they want. If I were you, I would try to find somebody, maybe in here, who lives close to you who has body experience, because I guarantee you it will cost a lot less, and you won't even have to mess with the insurance company.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Pull all of your parts out, take everything you want. Get the check for $4200 and let them have the car. Sell the rest of the parts on ebay. I'm assuming you had the 2K in cash, or you wouldn't have wanted to pay out of pocket.

$4200 Ins. $$$
$2000 Cash
$1000 Parts? (Maybe)

$7200 Down for a new one, or pick up a nicer fox.

This sounds like an easy questions to me. You can probably get a really nice '93 for $5000 and have $2200 for a blower.

Quick Reply: Guys, NOT GOOD