General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

upgrades for best performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 12:50 AM
slayyer

Default upgrades for best performance

hi guys i need some help and advice please. i want to boost the performance of my 4.6 02 convertible mustang.
i have added a cold air induction, chip and flow masters. i want to know if changing rear end from stock to 3.73 or 4.11 would be best and which manufactor makes the best, also i want to add x-pipe and should i go with or without cats and does it make a big difference either way, also which manufactor gives you the best performance for the buck, also thinking about changing the size of injectors would like to know if this is a good idea or not and what size should i go to if this is a good thing and lastly any other ideas would be helpful. thank you and i hope you can help.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 AM
slayyer

Default RE: upgrades for best performance

also if i go with 4.11 what do i need to do to get better traction and not just spin all the time when i jump on it....i do want to smoke em every now and then thats why the 4.11 hehe.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

I think you mean 4.10's, steeda makes good stuff.

As far as cats or no cats the biggest factor is weither it is legal in your state to not have them. If they do emissions then o/r catbacks are illegal. I'm really not sure on the power differance...I'm sure someone else will chime in with that detail. If not check out the pipes section of the forum. And you could get some headers to go with the rest of the exhaust system.

And if your planning on getting a supercharger or turbo I wouldn't do the injectors (most kits come with them). And if you have the money and you are looking for a big increase in power get a s/c or if you have a ton of extra money and want even more power get a turbo (or twin turbo).

Hope this helps some.

-Marc
Old 05-14-2004, 03:11 PM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marc_03GT

I think you mean 4.10's, steeda makes good stuff.

As far as cats or no cats the biggest factor is weither it is legal in your state to not have them. If they do emissions then o/r catbacks are illegal. I'm really not sure on the power differance...I'm sure someone else will chime in with that detail. If not check out the pipes section of the forum. And you could get some headers to go with the rest of the exhaust system.

And if your planning on getting a supercharger or turbo I wouldn't do the injectors (most kits come with them). And if you have the money and you are looking for a big increase in power get a s/c or if you have a ton of extra money and want even more power get a turbo (or twin turbo).

Hope this helps some.

-Marc
i've seen 4.11 gears posted on here alot. [sm=smiley26.gif]lol... as for the exhuast. i went with MAC. i did some research and found that its fairly cheap and it had a decent average of hp gain on any application. its all in what you are looking for, ie sound, performance, etc.... good luck with your decision.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:58 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

The gears might be a brand thing, most of the ones I've seen are 4.10's but that doesn't mean they don't have 4.11's or it might just be from people making typos.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:32 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

is your car an automatic or 5-spd ? w/ a 5-spd, all my friends told me the biggest difference they could tell is when they put gears in and a short-throw shifter. im saving my money up for 3.73' and a B&M shifter ripper shifter for mine. in an automatic, ive heard 4.10 are good. but, either way you go, youll be able to tell a big difference in acceleration. if you dont want to spin a whole lot, just come out of the hole "easy", then floor it. but, brand wise, pretty much any of the big names you hear about would be good. cats or no cats, all depends on where you live and how strict the inspection laws are. unless u buy an off-road pipe(w/o cats), and just put your factory h-pipe on to get it inspected or know somebody that would just overlook the exhaust for you.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:25 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Shifters are more of a driveability thing then performance, if you hav trouble getting in gear and you race then it's a good option and they'll improve feel in normal driving but if you're looking for a power increase in mostly daily driving then it's not really needed.