General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A/C Not Working

I am a refrigeration tech & you people scare me! lol You know just enough to be dangerous. Take it to a professional.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

Why? So we can pay more money than we should? Why not eliminate some possibilities by ourselves? The only thing we are losing is time and $20-$25. We, on the other hand, are gaining experience by solving our own problems. I know that I am. A year ago I didn't know anything about cars, now I know different parts of an engine and how it works. I am no expert at it, but it's all coming together and I am pretty proud of that fact.

FrostByte - If what we are doing is wrong, why don't you share your knowledge with us? If it's over our heads, then it will go to the shop.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Well I think he means that most people know enough to check things out but don't know enough to, know when to quit and let a professional handle it.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

I wish the search feature of the forums worked better so you could see that I already gave lessions, LOL.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

I wish the search feature of the forums worked better so you could see that I already gave lessions, LOL.
I found your so-called "lessons". All I had to do is find all your previous posts. If anybody is interested in them, it's A/C gurus ... please help. Dated 7/8/06 5.0 section.

Thanks Frostbyte. I appreciate your help.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:33 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Your cars HVAC system is not a toy you can play with.There are proceedures for trouble shooting defects in it.About all you can do with your can of freon ,is to add some and hope for the best results.The proper steps for trouble shooting a HVAC system is to first hook up the high side and low side to gauges and then time how often your compressor cycles , and duration.To me it is obvious you've got a leak.If you had the proper equipment,you would then pull a vacuum on the system to remove air and moisture and any remaining freon(R134A)Having moisture in your system will happen with leaks.Moisture will corrode your system from the inside out.Therefore you remove it by pulling a vacuum.Once that has been accomplished (usually takes a good amout of time to do this with the proper equipment)30miutes or longer.If at this time no freon was evacuated from the system then you have to look for obvious signs of where the leak is.It will show up in places where connections are for hoses,or anyplace really.(ie)compressor,evaporator,condensor,receive r dryer,etc.If no visual signs are seen(oily patches-freon is mixed with a synthetic Pag oil).If a leak is found ,you may just have to tighten a connection or if worse,replace a component.I hope you bring it in to a shop because the technician can then add a UV tracing chemical along with recharging the system.He will find any leak with a blacklight and repair the problem.Unless you have knowlege about how a system works you are really poking around ,hoping it will work if you try something.They are not hard to understand once you have be taught how the process works.Go somewhere and get it tested and fixed properly.Usually on a newer car the problems are not expensive to fix.If you play with it and do something wrong,it will cost more in the end.I worked on HVAC for a reputable company and studied at College for 3 courses to be certified on any vehicle.Please take my advice.Pay me now or pay me later