General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 05:24 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear popping noise

This is kinda like mystic's question about the popping noise in the front, only my problem exists in the rear. Occasionally when I take off, back up, or make a right turn pretty hard, I hear a popping noise coming from the rear - almost as if it's coming from the right side, but it could be in the middle, too, I'm not sure. Doesn't happen all the time, just every so often.

I had my mechanic take a look at it and it's not my U-joints which is what most people I talked to thought it was. Any ideas?? Some say it may be in the rear end... anything I can check myself?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:46 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear popping noise

control arm bushings? i know some aftermarket ones make some noise and urethane bushings can make some noise by themselves
Old 06-01-2004, 07:43 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

hmmm.... I think it's probably either my shocks or springs or something. Everything else back there is fine, and it only seems to happen when the weight shifts to the back or that side. LOL, may have solved my own problem.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:48 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

It could be alotta things. I had a similar problem as well, after some looking I realized that my aftermarket cat-back was bumping into my stock upper control arms whenever I did what your doing. I went ahead and replaced them with aftermarket (smaller and stronger) units and they don't hit anymore. So I'd say look at your exhaust to see if its close enough to hit something, and also make sure your bushings are in good shape.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Before I got my 3.73s installed, and at the same time basically got my rear end rebuilt, it would make strange sounds somewhat like what you are talking about if I drove slowly while turning sharp.

If your planning on gears anyway ( and you should be ) do it now. Your mechanic should be able to tell if there is a problem in your rear end when he does it, and unless he likes to screw ya over it shouldnt be that much more to fix.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:27 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Before I got my 3.73s installed, and at the same time basically got my rear end rebuilt, it would make strange sounds somewhat like what you are talking about if I drove slowly while turning sharp.
Ouch! I sure hope it's not in my rear end. Gotta check out the the suspension and everything around the rear to see if anything's hitting and go from there.

I dunno about getting 3.73's... I would LOVE to, but w/the price of gas nowadays and being in college I'm not so sure just YET [sm=smiley24.gif] (notice the usage of the word 'yet' [sm=smiley2.gif])
Old 06-03-2004, 03:03 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Absolute worst case senaro (at least I would think) would be a loss of 2 MPG. And thats on highway driving. You will see little or no difference in town, and depending on the speeds you drive in town you might acutally see a increase in milage.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:23 AM
ROUSH360R
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cepowers18

This is kinda like mystic's question about the popping noise in the front, only my problem exists in the rear. Occasionally when I take off, back up, or make a right turn pretty hard, I hear a popping noise coming from the rear - almost as if it's coming from the right side, but it could be in the middle, too, I'm not sure. Doesn't happen all the time, just every so often.

I had my mechanic take a look at it and it's not my U-joints which is what most people I talked to thought it was. Any ideas?? Some say it may be in the rear end... anything I can check myself?
It also can be the "slack" that is built into the driveline. If the driveline was too taught, it would snap under high torque loads. The thump is the slack being taken up or let out, depends on the driving condition.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:18 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Shew! Finally got that noise taken care of... was an easy fix. Turns out it was just a bolt on the right side of the upper control arm that was loose. Got a few turns out of it. Thank God it wasn't in the rear end! [sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Ricco

I replaced both upper and lower control arms on my 02 GT.One week after the uppers loosened up. I torqued them to 95 ft pound. Once I take or a hard turn or hit bad road (snap, crackle, pop) and he we go again. I plan on tightening it again and grease them too (It's starting to bind and squeak). Is this a norm? I was planing on buying the spherical upper controls thinking it may resolve this problem. Assuming that the solid ones are too stiff and the spherical may have a liitle more lateral movement? Are the poly's too hard? I love the way my car handles and takes off. It's just that they loosen up so easy. I hear that loud clack when I take off at slow speed. I go underneath and can actually move the control arm ( applying plenty of arm muscle) and hear it loose. Does anyone make a bushings softer than poly yet harder the stock or will the spherical be enough? Someone told me the spherical can cause damage to my torque box. But wouldn't the poly do the same thing being that they don't flex either?
Thanks a mil for your help guys.
Ricco