General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulley Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:22 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

Default Pulley Install

I need your input.

I will be installing a Magnaflow Catback and Pro-chamber this weekend on my 2001 GT.(If my Pro gets here on time).

Anyways, since I will have the car on a lift and access to more tools than at home, is it really worth it to install the Steeda underdrive pulleys.

The reason I am hesitant is that I have read so many horror stories about the crank bolt, and the last thing I want is to be stranded.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 06-09-2004, 12:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Pulley Install

well to be honest with you, the only people who have horror stories to tell about the said crank pulley are people who didn't read the instructions.

The bolt is easy to get off if you have a 5sp car - just drop it in 5th and put a breaker bar on it. If you have an auto you really need to use an impact gun to get it off. After that a simple balancer puller to get the balancer off, and here comes the part where people cant read:

See its like this, the bolt for the stock balancer isn't long enough to start threading itself and pull the pulley on once the pulley is totally off. So, steeda includes a longer bolt to be used to get the balancer pulley started. Once the balancer is on about a half an inch, your supposed to back the longer bolt back out and use the stock one now that it will grab threads. If you tighten that longer bolt the whole way, its gonna bottom into the crank and if you keep tightening it your gonna break the bolt off.

Point is, its an easy job - 45 minutes, maybe an hour and a half if your inexperienced - just don't try to fully tighten the crank pulley down with the longer supplied bolt. Hell, it even has a tag on it saying "don't tighten all the way" or something like that.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:27 PM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your response!

I have just seen so many opinions on how much power the pulleys will add, and was trying to justify it being worth the trouble.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

sure thing, steeda pulleys are top quality and you will be happy with the results.