General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 02:19 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Nitrous

I did'nt say no risk, I said a small risk, read the post. Like I said I am giving info based on my experence, if he wants to take it, fine if not I could care less.
This is quoted directly from the N.O.S. owners manual for a cheater system "suggested baseline tuning combinations
Horsepwer...150, jetting..N20=#63 Fuel=71, Fuel Quality=100+ octane.. Ignition Timing...2* retarded
Spark plug heat range= decrease by 1-2 steps"
Now this is for a 150 wet shot, so what do you think he needs for a 75 shot? The maf sensor will sense the increase in air coming in and tell the computor to supply additional fuel and there is no reason to pull a bunch of timing out, just run good fuel when you spray it (100 octane). I have run the above tune in two different cars and have had 0 problemsm, but what do I know I am stupid, I have only been building race cars and fast street cars for alittle over 10 years, so I have to bow down to all of your infinate wisdom and knowlage. Just remember, while you are all sitting on the computor being a big bad INET racer, some of us are actually at the track or out on the street racing our cars and figuring out how to go faster.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969
The maf sensor will sense the increase in air coming in and tell the computor to supply additional fuel and there is no reason to pull a bunch of timing out
lol n20 metered through the maf? thats kinda funny. n20 isnt metered through the maf dude. it is on oxidizer, but it doenst brake down to oxygen in your intake tube. it only does under extreme heat inside your cylinders. looks like the 10 years of your racing and working on cars hasnt gained you much knowledge.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Then why do you put the n20 nozzle on a dry kit before the maf? If I am wrong on how it works I will admit it, but all the dry kits I have seen on 5.0's were set up like that.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Then why do you put the n20 nozzle on a dry kit before the maf?
im not sure...but lets remember, its a mass air flow sensor, not mass nitrous oxide sensor. like i said, the n20 doenst break down to oxygen untill its inside the cylinder walls. thats a law of physics. so how could it possibly be metered?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:03 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

Then why do you put the n20 nozzle on a dry kit before the maf?
im not sure...but lets remember, its a mass air flow sensor, not mass nitrous oxide sensor. like i said, the n20 doenst break down to oxygen untill its inside the cylinder walls. thats a law of physics. so how could it possibly be metered?
I agree that n20 does not break down until it is the cylinder. Correct me if I am wrong. A mass airflow meter uses a heated wire to tell how much air is flowing into the engine, the more air flowing through the MAF the cooler the wire gets? If n20 is introduced before the MAF the n20 being very cold would cause the MAF to "see" more air and richen the mixture. This is what I have always thought happens on a dry shot, like I said if I am wrong I will admit it.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:10 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

maybe it does work that way...but how would it work with a blower application? your engine would be getting twice the air, but intake temps would be twice as hot. lol maybe i am wrong, but i pulled this off the net "The current airflow-sensing unit in your car is probably a "vane-type" airflow sensor. A flap in the intake air stream swings open with increasing airflow, and from the angular position of the vane, the computer infers the airflow. "
Old 06-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

no clue what that means there mr, but i just want it working for wednesday

gonna try grounding it out and then get the tank filled at the track...
see if it works or not.
if not then bleh
Old 06-22-2004, 03:16 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I would think the air moving across the wire would still cool it to a point, which is why an intercooler works so well, the intake charge is colder thus containing more o2, the maf reads this and the computor ads more fuel allowing more power to made. All the mafs I have seen had a couple of tiny wires in them. Sorry for jacking your post Obsol3et
Old 06-22-2004, 03:33 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Aftercooler or not intake temps will be severly higher then if you didn't have a blower. Not to mention the n2o will lower the intake charge greatly. lol If you had a blower and n2o wouldn't it trick the maf into thinking that it's running at a stock na setting? It's not so simple, obviously there are somethings we are both not understanding here and I would like to look into it.

Sorry if this does not make sense I told my girlfriend over the phone what to type.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:43 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I'll look into it also.

Quick Reply: Nitrous