General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default Nitrous

I have a 75 Dry shot I can hook up at any moment, never used it before.
I have no guages for it or anything, but it does have the purge, activation switch, and full throttle switch.

When do you use the stuff?
Ride out first and second without mashing throttle to floor, and full throttle for 3rd/4th gear?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:21 AM

Default RE: Nitrous

I hear most people will ride out first, and spray in second. If you already have problems with traction through 2nd then I wouldn't spray until 3rd.

One question, why a dry kit? get it for cheap or something?

Old 06-20-2004, 11:00 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Cause dry kits work really well for cars that have intake manifolds that are made to flow air only (like on a fi stang). If you don't have slicks on the car, leaving on spray is not a good idea, try hitting it at the top 2nd. You said you have a full throttle switch, how do you plan on hitting the n2o? If it were me I would mount a button on the shifter that is only active at full throttle, that way you can choose when to hit the spray.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:14 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I would hit the button in 3rd gear, if you have drag radials then 2nd..their are many ways to activate nitrous
Old 06-20-2004, 07:11 PM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

First I'd suggest getting a a window switch, rev limiter, timing retard, "black box", etc. All of those would be great investments if you put on the nitrous oxide kit so that you don't end up blowing your motor.

Oh and when you use it hit it in 3rd and so on. If you can do 2nd without spinning go for it. It's just going to take you some practice to find what the best times on your particular car are to use it.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Yea, gotta retard the timing like 4+ degrees think its 3 deg for every 50 hp

its basically installed, just need a hole in my cai

so keep the nitrous off until im in third
hit the switch and just try it like that?
when shifting into third tho ill be at around 3500+rpms... thats ok?
and i can ride that out until my usual 6k shift change?

Also, i have an ignition with rev limiter waiting to go in, just waiting on smething in the mail

MSD6AL
Old 06-21-2004, 12:06 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: D1g1tal V3n0m

First I'd suggest getting a a window switch, rev limiter, timing retard, "black box", etc. All of those would be great investments if you put on the nitrous oxide kit so that you don't end up blowing your motor.

Oh and when you use it hit it in 3rd and so on. If you can do 2nd without spinning go for it. It's just going to take you some practice to find what the best times on your particular car are to use it.
Man, he is only hitting a 75 shot, all that stuff is kinda overdoing it, it is nice have but not needed. You might want to pul out like 2* or 3* but that is it, you can run you stock plugs. I would'nt pull any timing out but thats me, I spray a 250 shot out of the hole though too. All joking aside you would have to try really hard to hurt the motor on a 75 shot, if it was a Honda motor it would be a different story.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

IM THE NOS MAN ......I SPRAY IT RIGHT OUT THE HOLE AFTER 60FT MARKER,,,BUT ON STREET TIRES ITS BEST TO SPRAY IN 2SECOND AND UP...BUT I DONT HAVE A THOLLE SWICTH..I LIKE MINE ON THE SHIFTER........REMEMBER TO HOLD ON,,,,YOU WILL BECOME AN ADDICT...
Old 06-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

So my car really has a small chance of doing something bad?

Not running stock plugs tho, running 24#, stock fuel pump and reg at the moment tho.

Last question tho,

Am I going to have to powershift to use the nitrous?

Because I'm not the greatest shifter in the world
Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

DONT POWER SHIFT....JUST EASE INTO IT..THE SHIFTER BUTTOM IS DANGEROUS IF YOU STILL HAVE THE BUTTON DOWN AND YOU LET OFF ,,,YOU GOT TO BE GOOD...WHEN I SHIFT I LET OFF THE BUTTON EVERY TIME THEN PUSH IT BACK ON REALLY QUICK AFTER EACH SHIFT...

Quick Reply: Nitrous