General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

68 mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:07 AM
CRJenkins13

Default 68 mustang?

Sorry, this is probobly in the wrong section. I didn't see a section just for general mustang talk, and I didn't want to get a biase opinion by posting in the Classic Mustang section.

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm 16, looking for my first car, and know someone selling a 68 Mustang GT. It hasn't ran in 7 years, so it's going to need a lot of work.

Pro's:

302 engine
97k original miles
Tranny is in good cond(but it's an automatic 3 speed. :tup: and :tdown
It's a 68 mustang...
Interior is in good condition as far as seats go

Con's:
It needs: Mirrors, master cylinder, tires, belts, new floorboards, poss needs a carb rebuild, shocks, air filter, battery, weatherstrip, paint job, exaust system, radio and possibly more stuff I haven't found yet(we couldn't start it up the other day).

So basically this is going to be on hell of a job. Which I don't mind by any means, but some tell me it's going to take 3 months to get it just to pass inspection, some say more like 6. And if I'm going to take on this project, I'm going to do it right, so I'm not cutting any corners.

I've never really watched a car be restored first hand, so I'm not sure on the time table. But some of the stuff can be done in one day, like the belts, tires, weatherstrip, mirrors...**** like that. And some stuff I'm not going to need right away like the paint job, radio, etc.

So should I, at 16, spend about 2500 on the car alone, then parts and have it sit for 3+ months, and possibly still fail at this project, or should I look more into say a 5.0, which I still like?

Sorry if I went out on multiple tangets, I tend to do that. :P
Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 68 mustang?

I would go for it, its very rare that you come across these classics, if i could come across one id jump on it even if it took along time.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:21 AM
CRJenkins13

ORIGINAL: 1988 Mustang Lx

I would go for it, its very rare that you come across these classics, if i could come across one id jump on it even if it took along time.
That's my thought's exactly, and I do konw the owner, so it's not some shady random guy that I can't trust his word for ****. But I want other opinions because I'm 16 and dumb
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Doing a restoration is not an easy job.Take a step back and do some looking at yourself.
Do you have the skills to do the work?
What about money?
What about tools?
Time?
Patience is required in large amounts and since you are 16,how long are you going to want to work on a car that doesn't move.
I built a Harley chopper and it took me two years.I had all the things I asked about except time.I still managed to do something to it every day though.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:51 AM
CRJenkins13

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Doing a restoration is not an easy job.Take a step back and do some looking at yourself.
Do you have the skills to do the work?
What about money?
What about tools?
Time?
Patience is required in large amounts and since you are 16,how long are you going to want to work on a car that doesn't move.
I built a Harley chopper and it took me two years.I had all the things I asked about except time.I still managed to do something to it every day though.
I'd say I probobly don't have the skills, for the most part, but on the body work and the small stuff(belts oils, etc) I'd like to learn as I go.
Money I've got a good paying job, with only 2 bills: car, and insurance. So that isn't much of a problem.
I have lots of tools, and don't mind buying another toy...I mean tool
I'm driving my mothers expedition, so I do have the time to do this right.

I've said to myself before that I'd rather buy the 68 and work on it for 3 months than buy a 96 and not be happy. I'd sacrifice 3 months for an amazing car I'm proud of than buying a car from a dealer.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:55 PM
JDBullitt
2nd Gear Member

As long as you have somewhere to keep it out of the weather while you're working on it, I'd go for it. Parts are pretty easy to find, and like you said, you'll be allot more proud of it when you are done.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:42 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

if u arent going to buy it you could put me into contact with the man who owns it id love to get my hands on it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM
CRJenkins13

Yeah, I'm not even going to reply to you. Just gonna block ya.

But yes, my father has agreed to let me use the garage for the time being, and my mother's let me use her car(while my dad lets her use his :P).

I'm 99% sure I'm doing this..