General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Them damn Turbos!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Default RE: Them damn Turbos!

Why are you guys so amazed with the 03 Cobra? They took a V-8 threw some forged internals in it and bolted a Supercharger to it. If it was N/A, I would be impressed.

They're not rocket scientists. It's not that hard to make them fast.

Exact same thing can be said for a 03 Cobra and it fits.
I never said I was impressed with the Cobra. Which is why I don't own one. I thought about it for about 10 minutes, then I decided I'd be much happier with a C6. Besides your point doesn't make any sense. The discussion was about a turbo 4 cyl that can run a 14.0. How great of a car the SRT-4 was. What does this have to do with a car that is running in the high 12's with a blower? The whole point is people are pointing out that a 4 cyl can be just as fast as a V8. Yes, with forced induction it can. Big deal. That being said, if it ran a 14.0 N/A, I would be impressed.

Were you just looking for an argument or did you have a point?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:37 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6
Were you just looking for an argument or did you have a point?
ide say he handed everyone their *** with his reply. it was dead on.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Yeah...Geez. He really put me in my place.

Whatever.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:44 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6
Yeah...Geez. He really put me in my place.
well, i guess if thats what you want to call it.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Greg00GT
1st Gear Member

Last week I test drove an 04 SRT-4, those little cars are very damn fast!! the numbers dont lie!!! they run low 14's and high 13's stock!! just like a 99+GT I personally dont like the way the handle and the way they look but as a Mechanical Engineer I feel proud that we can produce here in the US an *** kicking rice rocket that humilliates all kinds of more costly imports. Howwever I love my GT and I would not trade it in for a neon....
Old 07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Greg00GT

Last week I test drove an 04 SRT-4, those little cars are very damn fast!! the numbers dont lie!!! they run low 14's and high 13's stock!! just like a 99+GT I personally dont like the way the handle and the way they look but as a Mechanical Engineer I feel proud that we can produce here in the US an *** kicking rice rocket that humilliates all kinds of more costly imports. Howwever I love my GT and I would not trade it in for a neon....
now thats an opinion that i respect
Old 07-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Not sure why people get pissy about the subject.
Why not just respect a fast car no-matter what it is?
If a 4 banger can keep up or move faster than my car can, I'll toss a thumbs up.
Whether it be an AWD Turbo Talon, or a Gutted b16 CRX that somehow weighs barely anything.
It may not be in my personal preference, IMO the v8 sounds so horribly badass.
Also, it seems much easier to work on a v8 with plenty of space in the engine bay(atleast my car does).
Not to mention the HP/Torque one can produce stock, and the great gains from simple bolt ons.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:38 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder

ORIGINAL: UT04GT

if a srt-4 was close to a cobra and the cobra was a 03/04 model, that had to be the worst driver in the world in the cobra. The GT I can see. Put a turbo on the GT then compare
for about 3k in mods w/ slicks u can get the srt-4 into the 11's ..stick a bigger turbo on the srt..and well u kno the rest
No....it takes about $7k to firmly put that car in the 11's....but who cares?

It's a turbo Dodge....did anyone not expect it to be fast?

What I don't understand is why v8 guys HAVE to respect these cars? I don't see v8 guys demanding respect for their cars? All I hear about is how "played out" the v8 scene is. I mean hell, who wants to only spend $5-6k to make a car run 10's anymore, let's spend $15k and break the 11 second barrier. Wee!!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder

ORIGINAL: UT04GT

if a srt-4 was close to a cobra and the cobra was a 03/04 model, that had to be the worst driver in the world in the cobra. The GT I can see. Put a turbo on the GT then compare
for about 3k in mods w/ slicks u can get the srt-4 into the 11's ..stick a bigger turbo on the srt..and well u kno the rest
No....it takes about $7k to firmly put that car in the 11's....but who cares?

It's a turbo Dodge....did anyone not expect it to be fast?

What I don't understand is why v8 guys HAVE to respect these cars? I don't see v8 guys demanding respect for their cars? All I hear about is how "played out" the v8 scene is. I mean hell, who wants to only spend $5-6k to make a car run 10's anymore, let's spend $15k and break the 11 second barrier. Wee!!
I seem to have gone the wrong way then.

I'm at about 3k-3.5k and still no 12's, but thats on street tires and the driver is slowly getting better.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I still don't see how he handed everyone their ***. Maybe if he took his dick out of yours Nomo, there wouldn't be as much arguing here.

Wow...A sort of fast Neon...

Quick Reply: Them damn Turbos!